Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the time has come to post some pics of the 2 shoals of piranhas co-habitating in a 180 gallon. There are 34 cariba and 7 geryi in the tank. They have been together for a little over 2 days now and no casualties so far. Of course, only time will tell if these can live together in such small quarters but its a start. For the record, so far the geryi are showing the cariba whos boss, if you thought pygos were fast, you should see the geryi when they ignite the afterburners and chase the cariba out of their territorry. Pretty sweet to say the least, but very little, if any, contact is made. When contact is made, it is usually a slap with the caudal pedunlce and not the mouth as one might suspect.

ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
OMG, that must be one of the coolest things I've ever seen....

Absolutely wonderful: keep us updated on it, k? Two
!!!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
That Is Fu$kin Crazy! Damn Nice Tank!! All those fish in a 180? What are thier sizes?

That probly would have won pic of the month. (Did you enter?)

~Dj

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
My God. Very impressive. If anything stirs up those caribe, the geryi will be history before you even have a chance to reach for the net! Wowwie!

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Is that 180 or 1800 gallons?

~Dj

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all, its a 180 gallon tank, 72x24x24".

The cariba measure from 3-6" and the geryi are all about 6".

So far, the geryi are the bosses, chasing the cariba away from them if they come too close.

Several cariba have staked out territories and begun to tail slap in efforts to attract a mate.

Notice the roots flowing down from the surface, those are live water hyacinth growing out the top of the tank like a pond. They are bright green under my 175 watt metal halide lamp.

Java Fern is coming this week, more pics over next weekend.

Thanks again all,

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
For some reason that looks so much bigger then my 180.

~Dj

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Great set up...i'm envious...still, i think is very dangerous to shoal 41 Ps of 2 different kinds in a 180g, good luck...you might need it!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts