Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there notice there tank is causing an increase in there electricity bill?? I have a 55 gallon with a 300 watt heater, aquaclear 300 and an 802 powerhead. Just wondering how this is going to effect my electricity bill? Also obviously the 2 24 watt hood bulbs that are on at night, and everything else runs constantly

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I dont know.. depending where your at. I had to cut back and turn off my 30 gal because it was wasting electricity. Now Ive got rid of it, I just bought a 100 gal.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
Your tanks should raise your electricity bill that much. I have quite a few tanks, a 180, 65, 20, 10, 6, 5, 5. The smaller feeder Q tanks and my blue crawfish 6 dont use a heater just filters. My bill is still affordable. Good thing is that now I dont pay for heating, cause all those tanks in this studio apartment act like heaters keeping my studio a constant 75-80 degrees and hella humid.

~Dj

·
Registered
92 Posts
mine is around 100 give or take 30. 2story house w/ constant a/c (its hitting 100s deg.) just about same setup as yours. and a 10g w/heater. since its so hot its constantly around 80deg. i should just turn off the 55g's heater.

my friends bill was like 250-300 for a few months. no tank, he was growing.

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
As a result of 6 tanks, the humidity is always up (wich I can't stand). Thus, the AC runs more often. So, yes. I've noticed the bill increase.

i pay around 130 every 2 months for elec
That's small taters. Feel lucky, I pay that every month.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
ncith said:
OK so you had a 30 gallon tank that was costing you to much, but you got rid of it, and upgraded to a 100 gallon???????? WHAT! Explain
Well I only planned to have a 125 gal, but then bought a 30 gal for my Rhom. Had to reduce electricity bill so I got rid of both tank/Rhom. But being a true hobbyist, I could not stop myself from buying a great deal on a 100 gal tank with stand for $70. Also, if my electricity bill goes up, I rather pay the bill to have another mixed Pygo shoal than to use it for 1 fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.