Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Put him with the reds

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been stressing about this. My piraya's supposed to come Tuesday and he's just a little guy. My reds are pretty peaceful, except one is a real asshole. Even though I got a good deal on the piraya, it was still fairly expensive. Tell me what you think, should he have a 29 to himself for awhile, or should I let him fend for himself in the 75?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Maybe keep him in the 29 for a while to catch up on size because he is so small compared to the other fish. If you do put him in, rearrange the decorations in the tank and be sure to be there for a long while to see if the others accept him. Then again, after waking up in the morning, he might have some damage.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
How many reds do you currently keep in that 75 gallon? I think 5 fish would be the maximum number for adult fish, preferably less...
As far as adding a smaller fish to an existing shoal: it worked out for me (I added 5 1" reds to accompany my 4-incher in june last year, and all are still doing fine). But it might as well go wrong: you just never know. And you're talking about a pretty expensive fish you want to add....
If you love taking risks, I'd throw him into the 75g, if you want him to survive for sure, I'd keep him in the smaller tank first to do some catching up.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
You never know...IMO don't risk this great fish, wait a month or two till it get bigger!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm preparing the Hotel Piraya now. I figure with beefheart, a powerhead, and frequent water changes he'll be pushing 6 inches in no time.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
yeah beef him up..hate to wake up and see a floating head..just play it safe...good luck ..and i'm damn jealous of you..hahaha..i want a piraya too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts