Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury Videos: Helpful or Harmful?

2K views 135 replies 31 participants last post by  Grosse Gurke 
#1 ·
I have to say that video is disturbing. It's exactly what's wrong with the aspect of keeping piranha. I'm not going to get on you about how you keep your fish, but since you have posted the video, you have obviously invited input. I think that is absolutely inhumane. Euthanization should have been implemented, IMO. The fact that you have the opportunity to provide a decent means of providing nutrition without resorting to $40 feeders tells me that you're immature and a foolish.

Take it for what you will. These are my opinions, nothing more.

#6 ·
piranha45 Posted on Apr 10 2003, 02:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAD that was absolutely THE coolest feeding video I've ever seen. Absolutely-freaking-incredible. I love you
You even thought of zooming in on the gasping, disembodied head (cant believe that thing was still alive, heh)

BTW do you all think that if the piranhas were Caribes or Spilos rather than Natts (those WERE natts right?), that bloated hunk of flesh would have been scrapped even faster?

And you animal-rights activists can go blow yourselves. This is a @#^&ing piranha website and we highly enjoy watching fish rip living things up. Be sure to watch when we start throwing in stray kittens
I seriously doubt I qualify as an animal-rights activists. But I will tell you that this type of video play is the very reason why Oregon Department of Wildlife attempted to keep piranas banned in Oregon. All you are succeeding in doing is preventing other states from reversing laws because you are creating more fear among the populace that fears them anyway and making it harder for hobbyists who want to legalize piranas in their home states where they are illegal. Now if that is not clear enough for you or you think my statement is animal-rights activist in nature, then you are very sadly mistaken. Nor do you have the maturity to comprehend what testifying in a State Legislature against pirana fear is about it. Don't think for one minute that fish and wildlife officials do not visit this board or others that deal with piranas, afterall Pfury is advertised via OPEFE and you would be surprized how many state agencies visit my web site. Other than that, do what you want. I spoke my peace.

#7 ·
i dont see how anyone could think that video was an inhumane video or immature. piranha in the wild feed on all sorts of of things...living or non-living. regardless on how videos like that reflect upon pirnah fear or people trying to get owning piranhas legal in their home state, this is how the food chain works. i think that was an excellent video acting how they would in the wild and feeding...
Excellent Video!

#8 ·
That's in the wild, not your tank. The food chain does NOT work by introducing other fish into cramped environments with predators waiting in the midst.

Oh, and I am NOT an animal rights activist, by any means. Would an activist have 12 geryi? I don't think so.

BTW, some of you may know me, and some of you may not, but I highly doubt that I am in a position to be spoken to as a newbie. Piranha45, thanks, I understand what a piranha website is about. As some of you know, I help run a rather large site, and I have done so for quite some time.

Like I said, this is my opinion, take it for what you will. My opinion focused on my reaction to the video, just as any of the favorable responses did. This wasn't meant to cause reactions to my reaction.

#9 ·
Clay said:
That's in the wild, not your tank. The food chain does NOT work by introducing other fish into cramped environments with predators waiting in the midst.

Oh, and I am NOT an animal rights activist, by any means. Would an activist have 12 geryi? I don't think so.

BTW, some of you may know me, and some of you may not, but I highly doubt that I am in a position to be spoken to as a newbie. Piranha45, thanks, I understand what a piranha website is about. As some of you know, I help run a rather large site, and I have done so for quite some time.

Like I said, this is my opinion, take it for what you will. My opinion focused on my reaction to the video, just as any of the favorable responses did. This wasn't meant to cause reactions to my reaction.
Who talks to Tony Danza like a newbie?

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
MAD piranhas Posted on Apr 10 2003, 07:52 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank did you get my PM?
I would like to have a discusion about this.
Yes I did and I reponded to it. I will relay part of my message here. For those of you that are salivating at the mouth at this carnage just remember this: When the real activitists come to your door, particularly in your state legislature to enact laws to prohibit piranas and they use these vary same videos and remarks posted here to argue why people like you should not have these fish, don't say "we didn't know". Because then it will be to late. If you think I don't know what I am talking about then you clearly have no idea who you are speaking to. If you don't think it can happen, ask those in the northern states why their fish are prohibited and why there is an undertaking underway to prohibit piranas in more states so that it follows the same path of snake heads (Channa). When this starts to happen just remember who first told you. I will still have my piranas because I have earned the right to keep them and study them. You on the otherhand will have to do it illegal and suffer the consequences of it.

Good luck.

#11 ·
i thought they banned them beacause idiots were release them in our waters and killing the native fish same as for the snakeheads..not because of there aggression they have.but because of the destruction they do to nature if released.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
PACK raises what I assume to be a valid pt. From everything i've heard, the only reason piranha are illegalized is because ppl get tired of them and throw them into native waters. Hastastus if you can display proof that piranhas are ALSO banned for ethical reasons, then I'd like to see it; but I seriously don't think you can. I think your either grossly exaggerating this alleged ethics debate, or making it up altogether.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
piranha45 Posted on Apr 10 2003, 08:38 PM
PACK raises what I assume to be a valid pt. From everything i've heard, the only reason piranha are illegalized is because ppl get tired of them and throw them into native waters. Hastastus if you can display proof that piranhas are ALSO banned for ethical reasons, then I'd like to see it; but I seriously don't think you can. I think your either grossly exaggerating this alleged ethics debate, or making it up altogether.
Then you young man have never testified in a House Natural Resources Committe or Senate as I have done on numerous occasions.

Go visit OPEFE and do some research. My information including DNR testimony is all there for you to read.

thePACK Posted on Apr 10 2003, 08:04 PM
i thought they banned them beacause idiots were release them in our waters and killing the native fish same as for the snakeheads..not because of there aggression they have.but because of the destruction they do to nature if released.
It is more than that. When potential laws to prohibit species are instigated, numerous public hearings are held. In these hearings, information pro and against are provided. You will find that DNR uses its own scientists (mostly from American Fisheries Society) to use against ownership. Cited literature includes articles from TFH and other hobbyist magazines. In this day and age of internet web sites and ability to download videos much of what is on the internet can be used in this testimony. The only reason I was able to disprove ODFW was the fact they were ignorant of pirana names and behavior to include physiology. No one ever dared stand up to them before. So just banning them because of introduction is not the main issue, but only a small part of it.

#15 ·
Do you guys not understand that the reason piranha are legal in Oregon is BECAUSE of hastatus? Did any of YOU guys take the time to fight the legality issues and state gov't? Didn't think so.

#16 ·
i totally understand..and i am very appreciative toward what franks has done and is doing at the present.but its only a video..kinda like going to the movies..do you want to see it or not..the title is self explained.ever seen faces of death..thats brutal but they show it and sell it..but its up to us wheather or not to view it..and i don't think a video will change the law....just stupied people in the past,that have ruined it for hobbist who enjoy keeping them... but its not for feeding them ..but dumping them in local river and ponds and destroying nature...is why i believe they have banned them from certain areas...

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
giovanni82 said:
ever seen faces of death..thats brutal but they show it and sell it..
HaHa, the Faces of Death Videos are banned in 40 some odd countries, so using that as an analogy is sorta silly.
there you go COUNTRIES...not the U.S..

and you missed the point ..the point is that it is gruesome as mad video.(cuase it was gruesome).but its up to you to decide wheather or not to view such things....if its not to your liking.move on..and these are just my cents...these words are not intend for anybody.these are just my view

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
MAD piranhas Posted on Apr 11 2003, 05:27 AM
What everyone is not understanding is that I WANT to understand franks point. I WANT to know why these video's cause so many problems. I WANT to know why or how they can make a law based on someones movies they made. I just want to understand the valid points to this arguement. So I MYSELF can study it and base MY own apinion on the facts.. So I WANT as much information on this subject that frank or anyone else can contibute.
Thanks
MP.....the video itself is harmless. I'm sure you have some pirana books laying around (if not you should). Schulte makes mention of Hollywood film companies staging events to show the piranas ferocity and then adding words and music to add to the fear factor. Then you have PIRANHA and PIRANHA II the movie. Do you have any idea how often I have been written or called by people asking me if piranas can live in saltwater? or even here in Oregon, the story of those two teenagers in the movie being eaten alive is being taken for fact. Pure nonsense, but there is a strong number of people who believe it. Why were piranas banned in California? Introduction was a minor factor (the fish were tambaqui) which the law was based on, but it was the testimony of other people who used movies (Frank Buck), old historical literature of the piranas ferocity (words) and many other written documents.

Now put that with this here into perspective. You have a video showing piranas eating other fishes. No big deal. NOW add comments that it is done for sport to see the blood pour out. Then you have mob mentality, encouraging you to add other animals to show the carnage so that they can add more words to the video. This is what bothers me and the sad message it is putting out to the public and why this would be used by DNR to show another reason why piranas should be banned. Get it?

#20 ·
Salt water piranhas.. betcha they'd have even better looking colors and characteristics.

BTW: Frank, in the movie Piranha.. wheren't those actual Pacus being filmed? Not the real thing? I read something about it a while back, but just wanted to clarify it. Thanks!!

#21 ·
I can see both sides of the discusion here.I enjoy my piranha's and hate the fact that I have to break the law to own them.
most of that is due to steriotypes of piranha's acting like the ones in mad's video's.the government fears what they don't understand.if they see this video, they assume thats what all piranha's do even when thier are only a few in a tank. Im in a state that is so narrow minded that tatoo's have only recently became legal.

but on the other hand way back when we all got our first piranha's we wanted them to show some reall agression and tear things up.but when I try to show off my piranha's they let me down, they never would even eat infront of my friends.
what they really wanted to see was mad's piranha's.

I thought the video was entertaining.

#22 ·
thePACK Posted on Apr 12 2003, 08:03 AM its very amirable seeing some one put time and effort into something they like and to also help others better understand these beautiful creatures..thanks
You have touched on the most important part of everything I have been working on all my life. These critters are beautiful and more time should be spent admiring what nature has given us, plus expand on what we can learn from them and less on what we humans have portrayed them as blood thirsty creatures.

Thank you for the kind compliments.

Frank

#25 ·
I will be the first to admit that it is cool that our fish are capable of ripping things to shreds. What draws me even more is the mystique of the piranha. A healthy specimen of any of the species is just an amazing thing to behold. Even if they hide all day and scatter when you approach, appreciation is intensified when you are actually graced with their beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.