Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
Real Rohms are scarce in my area (Montreal). I usually find small spilos being labelled as rohms. The Nature pet Center near my house have a 5.5-6'' rohm for 150$ cdn funds. Its been in his little 10 gal spot for more than a year at the same price ( wich is high in my opinion ). I told them " Look, I'll pay 100$ to take it off ur hands, its been there for more than a year and nobody's gonna buy it anytime soon. And the price should be lower after all this time. If u dont sell it to me its gonna sit there for another year." All the manager could say was that it has grown alot since (yeah like 1/3 inch!) and that she can take 10% off. Thats not even the tax for the fish! It'll still cost like 160$. The lfs ppl have thick heads, they probably got the rohm for likr 30$ anyway. What do u guys think. Are they being hardheaded?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,692 Posts
It's a store, a commercial enterprise, not a charity organisation...
They don't care about your logic, but about sales, profit and stuff like that - and to be honest, the story reads almost like as if it was written by some spoiled brat that doesn't get what he wants - no offense, btw.

You said they were scarce in your area - that price ($150.- Can.) for a 6-incher seems pretty fair to me...
 

·
Breaki'n all day...
Joined
·
4,507 Posts
Judazzz said:
It's a store, a commercial enterprise, not a charity organisation...
They don't care about your logic, but about sales, profit and stuff like that.
[snapback]865549[/snapback]​
yes all stores are like that. they don't care if the fish is "happy" or not. as long as they move their stock they are happy. which makes me not understand how the rhom has been there for a year and not been sold.

i think you should go in there and take the 10% off the fish and tke it home. then, you know you will be happy and i'm sure you can provide a way better home for the fish than a tiny 10 gallon tank.
Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Judazz, If its a buisiness, they should think about making a sale. They should get a hint and say to themselves " This fish has been there for more than a year, maybe we should lower the price to get rid of it." And plus I've already negociated stuff with them before. Rohms in other canadian areas go for about 80-100$ at that size. How can u associate bargaining at a lfs with charity? Many ppl do it to get a deal. Money doesnt grow on trees for a young student without a rich daddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What worries me too is that it has been in a 10 gal space for soo long. What if it never adjusts to a bigger tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
can see where your coming from. imagine the cost of feeding it for a year too? is it the only P in the place? if so maybe they want to keep it as an attraction sort of fish? i go and see my local lfs when i know hes got Piranhas in. not usually to buy but to look at at compare mine with (usually end up buying something while im there though).

keep trying mate, make a nuisance of yourself and they wil give in!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
About the feedings, it looks like he's been eating gold fish since they have him. That worries me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
the problem with letting them know that feeding them goldfish is bad for them is that you will have alot of people who work in LFS do not leave room in their brain to be educated by the general public. i have tried talking to people before in LFS and only very rarely do i get the impression that the are actually interested in what you are saying!!
 

·
These colours don't run !
Joined
·
4,944 Posts
to be honest, the story reads almost like as if it was written by some spoiled brat that doesn't get what he wants - no offense

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,692 Posts
Cobra said:
Judazz, If its a buisiness, they should think about making a sale. They should get a hint and say to themselves " This fish has been there for more than a year, maybe we should lower the price to get rid of it." And plus I've already negociated stuff with them before. Rohms in other canadian areas go for about 80-100$ at that size. How can u associate bargaining at a lfs with charity? Many ppl do it to get a deal. Money doesnt grow on trees for a young student without a rich daddy.
[snapback]865569[/snapback]​
I'm not saying I don't agree with you, and I feel bad for the poor fish, but businesses (well, a good majority of them ) have a different agenda - making money, as much as possible with minimal effort, no matter how.
A retailer's logic is not the same as a hobbyist's logic - it's sad, but that's how things are...

You know you can take good care of the fish if you'd rescue it, improve the quality of its existence by a landslide and give him a life he deserves - that should be worth something!
I think once the fish comes around and starts acting like a true piranha, the money issue only seems trivial
 

·
The ASSMAN
Joined
·
20,570 Posts
You know...there is this BMW that has been sitting on the lot for a while in my area....they are asking $25K...I told them "guys...this car has been here a while, obviously it is over priced...I will give you $10K and take very very good care of it" I cant believe the guy said no...doesnt he understand that a car like that needs to be driven and not just sitting on a lot. I also suspect they are just putting regular unleaded in it and not using super unleaded...dont they know it will stunt the engin preformance...what a hard headed dumbass!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Cobra said:
Real Rohms are scarce in my area (Montreal). I usually find small spilos being labelled as rohms. The Nature pet Center near my house have a 5.5-6'' rohm for 150$ cdn funds. Its been in his little 10 gal spot for more than a year at the same price ( wich is high in my opinion ). I told them " Look, I'll pay 100$ to take it off ur hands, its been there for more than a year and nobody's gonna buy it anytime soon. And the price should be lower after all this time. If u dont sell it to me its gonna sit there for another year." All the manager could say was that it has grown alot since (yeah like 1/3 inch!) and that she can take 10% off. Thats not even the tax for the fish! It'll still cost like 160$. The lfs ppl have thick heads, they probably got the rohm for likr 30$ anyway. What do u guys think. Are they being hardheaded?
[snapback]865540[/snapback]​
I'm from Montreal, which store are you talking about? Nature in laval? they had a Rhom about 6-7inches for 179, I picked him up when price dropped to 89..but he was in big tank..., I also picked up their manuelli about 4 inches, they had two I got the nicer one... which was 139 dropped to 69 just after christmas. I have not seen to many adult rhoms anywhere else. there are a few juvenilles around. I just came back from Safari on tashereau in South shore, the have a 2 inch rhom for 50 bucks. if you hurry...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,140 Posts
If they want that much for it and you don't have those kind of funds, browse the Canadian buy/sell forum. Get your fish from someone who treated it right. Supporting dickwads like that will only lead to more piranhas and other fish being mistreated in his store.
 

·
Danse Macabre!
Joined
·
10,561 Posts
That's a fair price in Toronto. They definately don't go for 80-100 bucks around here at any rate. Even ordering online that's about what you could expect to pay without shipping and clearing papers, least of all customs fees. I'd buy the fish if a rhom is what you really wanted as I dont think it's going to get substantially better than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
go in the with the 100 cash and show it em see if there take it then, if you pay it now then theyve won or maybe get a friend to offer them 80 then go in after that way they might think sh*t 150 maybe it is too much, my lfs are idiots too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yo gross gurke, U cant compare a car with a pet...........but even the price of a car would dropp a little after a while. ( Maybe not from 25k to 10k!!)..............And prices of p's do fall within time (check out "MyPiranhas" post above). WTV.......its just that since I entered the hobby.....lfs ppl have been reasonable enuff to bargain with me most of the time (Big Als:rockon: ), and thats why I find this lfs manager a little stubborn. Its just my opinion from my experiences,,,,no need to get cocky.
 

·
The ASSMAN
Joined
·
20,570 Posts
Cobra said:
Yo gross gurke, U cant compare a car with a pet...........but even the price of a car would dropp a little after a while. ( Maybe not from 25k to 10k!!)..............And prices of p's do fall within time (check out "MyPiranhas" post above). WTV.......its just that since I entered the hobby.....lfs ppl have been reasonable enuff to bargain with me most of the time (Big Als:rockon: ), and thats why I find this lfs manager a little stubborn. Its just my opinion from my experiences,,,,no need to get cocky.

[snapback]866627[/snapback]​
I was just messing with you, i wasnt serious
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top