Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
:laugh::laugh::nod::nod::nod:

Here is an update on my Fry Tank. I have also made some intersting discoveries...

The fry are now totally free swiming and are on Newly hatched Brine shrimp. They are fed twice a day. I think I have at least a thousand fry at the moment (Gestimate It could be much more).

I have been dong water changes twice a day to keep he water conditions ok. This is really hard as when i take the water out the little guys tend to get sucked as well. I use an air line to syphon out the water and takes for ever.

As I had to go out of town for two days I was looking for means to sustain the fry without fresh brine shrimp.... In my search I Spoke to a breeder and he gave me a fantastic tip. Take some floor and mix with a little water and make a small ball of dough. Then place this ball in a corner of the tank. after the first day the ball will start to produce a bacteria (it is called a specific name -that I can't remember) that the fry can eat. I did this and worked beautifully!! Ofcouse one has to be very careful not to make the ball too big as it can mess with the water conditions. On my return I just cleaned out the remains and performed the usual water changes.
The fry were doing amazingly well !!!

Also I learned that adding a couple of small snails after the fry are free swiming helps to get rid of the dead brine shrimp.:nod:

I previosly asked if there was any truth about feeding egg yolk to the fry. Well this works as well. First boil an egg well. Take a tiny pinch of the york and desolve into a glass of water. then spread the mixed water in your tank. This will only work in the first couple of days once the fry are free swimming. Please note I do not advocate this if you can use brine shrimp. Use this only if you are out of brine shrimp or not prpared with it. Also you have to watch your water conditions after following this method as the potential for spoilling the water is high.

I know I should be posting Pics of the fry. I promise that there will be pics added within the nex two days.

Any advise and comments are very welcome. After all we just need to find the best way possible.

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
Great work Davo

Your fry tank is a 30g right? For cleaning you may want to consider making a mini syphon, to speeding up a little.

what kind of setup do you have? (fry tank) How often are you doing water changes, and how much?

Interesting meathods, sounds like they do the trick!

Good luck, Keep us posted

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mantis said:
Great work Davo

Your fry tank is a 30g right? For cleaning you may want to consider making a mini syphon, to speeding up a little.

what kind of setup do you have? (fry tank) How often are you doing water changes, and how much?

Interesting meathods, sounds like they do the trick!

Good luck, Keep us posted

[snapback]881909[/snapback]​
Thanks mate. I think it is a 30 g got to do the cal. Any ways I'll post the pics now. (Please excuse the quality of the pics as they are from my small digi cam without a zoom)

I change water twice a day for good measure (about 15%) . The prob is to vacume the dead fry and the left over shrimp. this takes a long time and inevitably a few fry aslo get sucked in!!!

just set up a drip system (Manual) to ensure that they get fresh water drop by drop througout the day. pic attached next post.

Any ideas on the mini syphon? If this will ensure that the fry don't get draged out.

Thanks again

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shot of the set up with the drip system that I set up!!! I know Iknow it is not a profesionally done complicated thingy.. but it will help the little fellows.

Water flows out of the tank drop at a time into the bucket. water from the small tank flows into the main tank drop by drop

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
they look like thier doing great! Nice pics!

yea, you still have to be carefull with a mini syphon. But it helps making cleaning a little faster than airline.

keep us posted on your progress

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update.

The fry are doiung fine.

There are casualties. Every time I vac the bottom there are a few of them that have concked out

They are fed thrice a day on brine shrimp. The guys suck it up really fast. some of them are there only to eat. they stuff them selves. Others are a little slow and tend to miss out a bit.

The important thing is to get the correct amount of Brine Shrimp to avoid them rotting the water if left over.

Will add some pics in a couple of days to show the progress.

Any sugesstions are very welcome

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mantis said:
they look like thier doing great! Nice pics!

yea, you still have to be carefull with a mini syphon. But it helps making cleaning a little faster than airline.

keep us posted on your progress

[snapback]883278[/snapback]​
thanks again

How long do you think I need to keep them on Brine Shrim. What should be my next step? What do I feed them?

All the tips you can give me at this point is very welcome

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The fry are eating the brine shrimp very aggressively. I need to find the second stage of food for these guys.

Whilst the fry are growing slowly the parent tank is again a hub of breeding activivty. They are deffenetely getting ready to do the do.

Wonder what i can do now? Do I go through this again or call it quits for now and concentrate on what I have.

it might be a waste though as this will not happen every day of the year.

·
Soft Machine
1,687 Posts
Once they are no longer transparent, I would suggest blood worms, or you could try to raise the brine shrimp to a larger size.

And as far as you P's spwning agian, If your not ready just suck the eggs up.

If you don't have a light for the fry pics avalible use a flashlight

Keep taking pics!

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mantis said:
Once they are no longer transparent, I would suggest blood worms, or you could try to raise the brine shrimp to a larger size.

And as far as you P's spwning agian, If your not ready just suck the eggs up.

If you don't have a light for the fry pics avalible use a flashlight

Keep taking pics!
[snapback]884886[/snapback]​
Thanks for the info mate. And for the PM.

How long do you think it takes for the guys to become non transparent?

I think I will go ahead witht he next batch as well. What the hell. I have had the P's for a long time and now they are breeding... I will give this a shot.

Oh I forgot to mention... the eggs are out. there are four nests once again. Much larger than the previous time. I will suck them out into another tank in a day or two.

I'll keep the pics comming and the updates too.

·
Danger Davo
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mantis said:
no prob man

10-14 days, and they should looking like P's

[snapback]886249[/snapback]​
Thanks Mate.

One more question. Do you think it will be a good idea to shift the fry into a 120 gallon that I have?

If so How best should I do this. I want to give them as much space as possible to avoid / reduce canibalism.

I will be taking the new eggs out of the parent tank today and setting it in a new tank.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts