Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a handy link

OK I do not believe that morays should be kept in Freshwater - this article along with many others claims you can, but this one is more scientific than others I have seen.

opinions please....

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
I respect the research they tried to do. However, they were looking for an answer that they wanted as opposed to the objective truth. If an entire group is marine with some brackish and even freshwater invasion you can bet they have a physiology that requires salt. They may be tough enough to go without but how long probably varies between species.

Not enough info there to convince me that completely fresh water is good for any of these fishes.

So, to make this long story short;
brackish, brackish, brackish....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I dunno gents. I have seen them before at fish stores and In one persons tank. My theory is that is you give them enough time to acclimatize they can do it. Man I did it with 2 Molly. Took them from fresh and 2 days later, they were in a full salt tank. Same with the eels, give it enough time. And make sure it is healthy for the endevour, he will need to be. Thats just personal experiance. BUT overall they are a brackish or salt fish. But they can be changed. So you right innes NATURALLY they are NOT freshwater, But i like fooling around with nature....

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
acestro - I agree, these fish are not for freshwater - GaryBusey, I think your idea is stupid

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Innes said:
acestro - I agree, these fish are not for freshwater - GaryBusey, I think your idea is stupid
Stupid? 1) It's not an Idea. It's fact. It CAN be done. I've seen it first hand. 2) My molly Experiment? They all survived only to kick the sh*t out of my clowns... Yeah I bet it was rough on them
I agreed with you Innes it's not Natural, BUT it can be done. It's not an "idea" either. It something that has been done. Read my post more carefully next time...

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I did read your post properly, and I really do not reccomend "acclimitising" fish to unsuitable water conditions.

I also thank you for agreeing with me

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
My friend who works at a LFS has some Morray Eels on a tank with Arrows and Oscars. My other homie purchaes it and decided to put it in the tank with is Butterkophrie. One the morray eel was released in his tank, all it did was squirm and swim back and fourth to each side of the tank. Next day, the eel looked like it had skin peeling (like if he got bit and skin hanging loose, but no cuts). 3rd day, it was dead..

Still baffled in how it was living with other eels in the LFS tank but died in his...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Like I said, when I did it, And when the LFS did it, it took about 2 weeks. VERY Slow acclimatizion. My buddy has had his for a half a year no with No problems... If it is done right, it can be done. With a Salt water tank getting fish to cycle it quicker is EXPENSIVE. Almost all salt water fish are wimps and EXPENSIVE. I got 5 Mollys for 5 bucks, all lived and my tanks cycled much faster... Then When they attacked my clowns I scooped em out and fed them to my Piraya's with NO acclimatiztion. Now THATS cruel, I admit it. But they wrecked my clowns in under 10 mins...Oddly enough of the 5, 2 were eaten right away, 2 were eaten the following couple of days and 1 is STILL in the tank. His Balls must be HUGE!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RhomZilla said:
Still baffled in how it was living with other eels in the LFS tank but died in his...
shop most likely had salt in the tank, also the change in water conditions might have been an issue - mine lived 3 months and seemed happy, but never ate - I never tried feeders though as they are illegal here and so cost too much (about £1 each)

they usually seem to go on a hunger strike and die after months of starvation

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
garybusey said:
Like I said, when I did it, And when the LFS did it, it took about 2 weeks. VERY Slow acclimatizion. My buddy has had his for a half a year no with No problems... If it is done right, it can be done. With a Salt water tank getting fish to cycle it quicker is EXPENSIVE. Almost all salt water fish are wimps and EXPENSIVE. I got 5 Mollys for 5 bucks, all lived and my tanks cycled much faster... Then When they attacked my clowns I scooped em out and fed them to my Piraya's with NO acclimatiztion. Now THATS cruel, I admit it. But they wrecked my clowns in under 10 mins...Oddly enough of the 5, 2 were eaten right away, 2 were eaten the following couple of days and 1 is STILL in the tank. His Balls must be HUGE!
I remember - I am still not in support of this though.

but as you said - if you are going to do this, do it slowly.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Innes said:
RhomZilla said:
shop most likely had salt in the tank, also the change in water conditions might have been an issue - mine lived 3 months and seemed happy, but never ate - I never tried feeders though as they are illegal here and so cost too much (about £1 each)

they usually seem to go on a hunger strike and die after months of starvation
I dont think salt was an issue, the water in the tank was circulated from other tanks in the same shelf and filtered out through a 10 foot wet/dry. Im thinking it couldve been more of being switch over to a different tank. Thats just my guess..

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Interesting topic.

. BUT overall they are a brackish or salt fish. But they can be changed.
The key is what is happening inside of the fish. Are its kidneys and gills being compromised because they are used to a different salt concentration? Is it not quite as healthy as it could be but its health deteriorates at a very slow rate? Or perhaps it acclimitized. The important fact is almost all (or is it all?) of these eels spend some of their life in salty conditions for some reason. Maybe reproduction is compromised, dunno. Stressed fish don't always float belly up within a week or two of whatever stressful condition they are in.

My vote: if you can breed them in that water condition, they are, in fact, fine. But who has bred them in any condition?

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
i still hear about pfish ppl keeping these in fw all the time....

i remain inconclusive

ill never get one anyways though so what do i care
If I wanted an eel I'd just get a guaranteed fw eel and save myself the hassle, ppl say American and Conger eels got nasty temperaments themselves :nod:

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
o snap its eric said:
So is it possible to convert sw fish to fw? It probally is but woul this mean the sw fish that was convert is slowly dying?
no its not possible from salt to fresh....brackish is differnet story

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. There is a freshwater lake in Nicaragua which has 8' long sharks (bullsharks)....they look identical to their saltwater counterpart. I think the lake is landlocked, I doubt if any local converted those sharks to freshwater.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
14_blast said:
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. There is a freshwater lake in Nicaragua which has 8' long sharks (bullsharks)....they look identical to their saltwater counterpart. I think the lake is landlocked, I doubt if any local converted those sharks to freshwater.
bullsharks are one type of fish, moray eels another entirely. I wouldn't say their adaptability is related at all.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
14_blast said:
Bull sharks, as well as some other types of sharks, are known to swim rivers upstream, for whatever reason (I don't know - maybe opportunism, as in feeding: human remains are often dumped in rivers in many area's, and many corpes have been found dismembered because of shark bites) - they've been spotted in diverse rivers such as the Amazon, Murray (Australia), Zambesi (Africa), Ganges and Bramaputra (Asia), and also in Central America.
That they can tolerate the switch from salt water to fresh water doesn't mean all fish can do so: moray eels for one are species can may be able to live in brackish or fresh water for a short period of time, but eventually, they will perish...

·
Too tasty to give up.
7,043 Posts
Bull sharks, as well as some other types of sharks, are known to swim rivers upstream, for whatever reason (I don't know - maybe opportunism, as in feeding: human remains are often dumped in rivers in many area's, and many corpes have been found dismembered because of shark bites)
bull sharks are the only shark that are truly freshwater....any other name such as Zambezi or something is just a bull shark and not a different species

bull sharks swim upstream to the lakes and esturaries because thats where they were born.....its instinct for them to go there because the food they ate as juveniles are also very common and easy to get......and most of the time the dismemebered corpses were killed by the sharks themselves....The Zambezi shark or bull shark is responsible for the most attacks on humans! not great whites, not makos, not tigers but these freshwater fuckers(hehe i spend way too much time researching sharks)

and i greatly doubt that someone can change millions of years of adaptation of being a saltwater eel to change it in a few weeks to being a freshwater eel

1 - 20 of 32 Posts