Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw these freshwater lobster's at my lfs and they were awsum.id like one of these and im wondering if 1) Can they be kept together? 2) Could they be kept with fish

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you ever do want "freshwater lobsters" or "blue lobsters" I reccomend www.bluecrayfish.com
the owner bob was my boss for several years and makes good on any deals he makes. He will undercut your lfs and send extras, If something goes wrong in shipping he sends more. bob has small ponds around where I live stocked with blue crayfish only. He has been raising crayfish for since I was a baby. He knows alot and is an expert in the field. He will answer all your questions honestly and not B.S. you like some others might.
Being a crayfish expert seems not to pay the bills so he was my boss in a completly unrelated field. That is his passion though...

·
Registered
880 Posts
i had no idea ppl were into crayfish.... they seem kinda lame. although i guess fish seem kinda lame at first glance too. my girlfriend doesnt get why i need these massive tanks all cramped in out one bedroom apartment. lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
people are into anything and everything. Im sure you can find bug websites with aquariums filled with roaches crammed in a one bedroom too.

·
Registered
681 Posts
almost anything labeled as a freshwater lobster is a crayfish from australia. all of them get very large and won't be able to fit into any of the tanks in your sig.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ccoralli said:
almost anything labeled as a freshwater lobster is a crayfish from australia. all of them get very large and won't be able to fit into any of the tanks in your sig.
[snapback]953484[/snapback]​
hmm i dont think ur thinking of the same thing as me.my lfs has these kick ass things called blue lobsters and they looked sorta like crayfish, and every peice of info ive read bout em says they get about 6".they were attack feeder gold fish and they were in seperate tanks and i was wonderin if i could put em wit fish(it was in baby piranhas in one tank, other was wit plecos and clown knifefish) and if i could have more than one in a tank

·
Registered
173 Posts
They would go well in your 29 gallon. You can keep more that one together, just give them a place to hide. P's or oscars may eat them, also they will nip at smaller fish as well. The ones Im talking about also top out at 6 inches or smaller. Check out the forums at bluecrayfish.com

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok since there crayfish, would it be safe to say that in the aquarium these "blue lobsters" would act and be as aggressive as the crayfish i see in my local lakes all the time?im asking this cuz im kinda reluctant to pay $30 for a crayfish(even though its blue) if it isnt gunna be more aggressive as they ones i can get for free

2,170 Posts
we sold blue crays for 20 canadian a piece,the blue ones are a little pricey but you can fin'd "regular" ones with nice markings on the exoskelleton for cheap. We sold them for 2.99 each. I try to always keep one in with my rhom,if they get out of line he keeps them in check,they clean up the tank very well and are a very nutricious source of food. Crayfish,an essential part of my piranha tank. Oh and here's just a neat fact, when they shed their exoskelleton either u can take it out and it looks like a perfect copy of ur cray, but if you leave it in,they'll eat it!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Tibs said:
Ccoralli said:
hmm i dont think ur thinking of the same thing as me.my lfs has these kick ass things called blue lobsters and they looked sorta like crayfish, and every peice of info ive read bout em says they get about 6".they were attack feeder gold fish and they were in seperate tanks and i was wonderin if i could put em wit fish(it was in baby piranhas in one tank, other was wit plecos and clown knifefish) and if i could have more than one in a tank
[snapback]953791[/snapback]​
yes i'm talking about the same thing. blue crayfish will get about six inches, but thats not what freshwater lobsters are. your talking about cherax sp. what is the scientific name? that will clear this up

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Tibs said:
i saw these freshwater lobster's at my lfs and they were awsum.id like one of these and im wondering if 1) Can they be kept together? 2) Could they be kept with fish
[snapback]952830[/snapback]​
not lobsters and what species are they - they require differant care

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Tibs said:
Ccoralli said:
[snapback]953791[/snapback]​
there is no species of freshwater lobster - they are crayfish and labeled as lobsters to make them sell.

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes i know there not lobsters, and to Ccoralli ive been surfing the we and have found out that cherax doez get 1' plus, but thats not the one i was looking at.Do u guys happen to know how long live and how hardy they are?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Tibs said:
yes i know there not lobsters, and to Ccoralli ive been surfing the we and have found out that cherax doez get 1' plus, but thats not the one i was looking at.Do u guys happen to know how long live and how hardy they are?
[snapback]956573[/snapback]​
ok, heres what you need to do. go to the store that is selling it, make sure to bring a pen and paper. ask them what the scentific name is, and write it down, make sure you spell it right. then post the name on this thread. until you do that we won't be able to answer your questions

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i found a really good deal on a nice flowerhorn, do ya thik that a flowerhorn would live with one?(i would most likly upgrade later on when needed)

·
^word
4,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Procambarus sp., thats what the store told me.it was listed as Hammers Cobalt Blue Lobster

1 - 20 of 20 Posts