Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The ASSMAN
20,570 Posts
Im thinking you have various ages of Serrasalmus altispinis for most of the fish. The juvis have more spots and with the more mature the spotting has gone away. The spotting looks similar to hollandi...but the tail doesnt. That 3rd pic could be marginatus, it does resemble the pic on franks site.

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,001 Posts
My personal feeling is compressus due to the caudal fin. Marginatus would have a hyaline edge.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
jerry_plakyda Posted Today, 08:21 AM
My personal feeling is compressus due to the caudal fin. Marginatus would have a hyaline edge.
Actually, that is only partially correct. S. marginatus normally has "V" at the base that extends out. This later fills in (sort of like a cup of coffee) to the edge or near edge of the tail depending on age. Both S. sanchezi and the compressus group are an odd bunch when it comes to the tail. It can have both a bold black edge or faint black edge. I think much of it is due to stress (faint colors) and/or water conditions. The single fish in view is S. sanchezi. I didn't comment on the rest because I would need to manipulate the photo to put the fishes upright and I don't have much time to mess with it.

PS: S. sanchezi is known only from PERU not Brazil. They are not S. altispinis, known only from Brazil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts