Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 4" reds in a 55 gallon tank right now, I know that I need to upgrade soon so I have a few questions.

I'm in love with a 24" wide tank, I love the look of them. My problem is that I dont have a lot of money. Glasscages has a 125g tank that measures 72"x24"x17".

My question is do you ppl think that a tank that is only 17" tall is tall enough for full grown reds?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
you can get a 120g the footprint is 48" long 24" wide and 24" tall. mayb that will help. but i suppose 17" tall would work but dont go any smaller.

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
I don't think they make tanks any shoeter than 17", unless you have it custom built. You should get a 6' tank IMO, it doesn't have to be 24" wide. 18" is fine. All depends on what style you like, and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I have 4 4" reds in a 55 gallon tank right now, I know that I need to upgrade soon so I have a few questions.

I'm in love with a 24" wide tank, I love the look of them. My problem is that I dont have a lot of money. Glasscages has a 125g tank that measures 72"x24"x17".

My question is do you ppl think that a tank that is only 17" tall is tall enough for full grown reds?
my plywood tank is custom built...i think you'd like it, 4ft long, 2ft deep, and 15.5" tall...i have a red thats 7" a 6" and 5 1/2" one....AMPLE room...i could probably chuck 4-6 full growns in there

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Depends what you mean by full grown. If it is a bit stunted 8 inchers in a too small tank, then perhaps 17" high may do.
But for real full grown adults, which are up to 12-13 inches, that is a big NO. So an upgrade of the tank is to follow.

Harry

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends what you mean by full grown. If it is a bit stunted 8 inchers in a too small tank, then perhaps 17" high may do.
But for real full grown adults, which are up to 12-13 inches, that is a big NO. So an upgrade of the tank is to follow.

Harry
[/quote]

Yes Im talking about Full Grown 12-13 inches. So I take it that a 17" Tall Tank is just too short for them.

Do you guys think that a tank that is only 18" Wide is wide enough for full grown reds? I just dont like that idea of them only having a few inches to spare when they turn thats why I like the 24" wide tanks.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
i think theres a rule of thumb about this

Xgal of water per X" of fish

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
And to be funny,
accoording to this rule you may keep in a 20 gallon tank one 20" Pygocentrus piraya - or then again you really cannot.

But seriously, a 12-13" Piranha cannot be kept well in a tank less than 24" wide.

Harry

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And to be funny,
accoording to this rule you may keep in a 20 gallon tank one 20" Pygocentrus piraya - or then again you really cannot.

But seriously, a 12-13" Piranha cannot be kept well in a tank less than 24" wide.

Harry
[/quote]

Thanks Harry, that was my exact worry. I know that its down the line a bit, but I dont want to have to upgrade again.

·
Registered
545 Posts
if your getting 24"wide you will love extra hight.
mine use all of there 28" tall, plus the extra water is good for the fish.

6'x24" could be a 135gal, 180gal, or even a 210gal.
bigger is always better

·
Frontosa King
9,990 Posts
look into used tanks. classifieds are a good place to find them or else online also. try and find something 6 feet by 2 feet.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
IMO a 17' high might due....But if you are going to get a tank with dimensions of 72" you might as well get a standered size 125g and add a few more reds in there or keep the 4 reds in there :nod:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts