Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm wondering if it's ok to feed my TSN pinkies? Rightnow he's a little "small"
at 12"....but I figure if Ps can eat pinkies, what about my TSN ??

Will the pinkie scratch/bite the tsn's while inside ta stomach ?!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I'm not too sure as they cant bite like piranhas can - so live mice would have to be swollowed whole, and I would not reccomend that, but if it is with piranhas that will rip up the mouse - you have no problems.
but it is EVIL!!!!

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
lots of people feed their fish pinkies... birdman n bdking's 9" jack dempsey gets fed PINKIES all the time, so I imagine a 12 inch tsn wont have any trouble either

all fish that im aware of have a sort of gizzard called pharyngeal jaws, and these are located in the fishs' throat. This is where the fish chews up its food. A pinkie would be mincemeat by the time it reached the cat's stomach

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
good luck..but if you do decide to do it..take pics

·
Registered
518 Posts
2 questions before I decide guys...

1) Do pinkies float or sink ?
2) They have teeth/claws at that age?

I"m asking this coz I know live food can live quite a long time in his belly....large feeders that wouldn't stop wiggling for 10 mins. This whole time my TSN was bouncing along the bottom of the tank

btw...here's a vid I shot not too long ago....enjoy

Video

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
accr said:
I"m asking this coz I know live food can live quite a long time in his belly....large feeders that wouldn't stop wiggling for 10 mins.
wow, didnt know that, apparently then catfish dont have pharyngeal jaws... I had always assumed this because syprinids and cichlids do, but clearly aint the case with cats...
as for pinkies... yes they DO have teeth and claws.

yeah I suppose I'd give it a 2nd thought before just throwing a pinkie in there then

regardless though, that tsn sure is cramped in that aquarium, and he's only gonna grow (much) bigger :sad:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:nod: yeaa....

Thats why I wanna make sure........Dont wanna see a pinky claw its way outta my TSN"s belly......

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are frozen ones ?????

Where do you get them ?? local grocery story? lol...j/k.....seriously...?

Or maybe I'll freeze my own

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
I think you can get them at pet stores. Many pets are fed frozen pinkies: reptiles, fish, large frogs...
Just defrost them, and it should be all right.

Happy hunting

1 - 14 of 14 Posts