Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does ne know of ne food that would help rb's grow bigger teeth? like something with alot of calcium or something.. oh yeah also is there a way to get rb's less skitish?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know about the teeth but I got my rb's less skittish by tapping on the glass everyday until they got used to me. This might sound stupid, but I got enough of them running away from me so I sat in front of the tank everyday for a little over two weeks and just bother them by tapping once in a while and stressing them out and making them go nuts. After a while, they got used to me and calmed down and went about their daily business as if I weren't even there.

I wouldn't really recommend this because what I did was not the smartest thing to do if you cared about your Ps. I was just really fed up with them not eating or doing anything in front of me.

Now they are only skittish for a minute or two when someone walking in from their blind spot if they were near that corner.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I think you mean Ps showing teeths more, not bigger. Showing teeth comes with age. The older piranhas get, images of their razor sharp jaws pertrude more from their lips.

Also, tapping against the glass isnt recommended. It like putting a metal boal over your head and tapping that.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
RhomZilla said:
Also, tapping against the glass isnt recommended. It like putting a metal boal over your head and tapping that.
Definitely: tapping the glass will cause pressure waves to run through the tank. The p's will sense this with their lateral line (which picks up pressure waves): this causes a lot of unnecessary stress and discomfort!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
oh yah and Rhom that picture is definatly amongst the best i have ever seen.... I like it alot :smile:
Thanks Snow!!!
I have more in my links if you wanna check 'em out

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took the advice of some and moved the tank to a high traffic area and... it's actualy helped alot. They still run from sudden movements in the room (like me reaching for a beer), but they don't go into full hiding like before. Just the usual piranha chain reactions - one jets, they all freak out jetting everywhere.

Not sure what else I can do to totaly desensatize them. Really, it makes sense that in the wild they are skittish. Everyone in their shoal is also in their lunch menu. Or who knows, maybe my P's just have an anxiety disorder. I've considered putting 100mg Zoloft's in my tank or maybe some counseling sessions.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what if i fed my rb something that has calcium in it... would this help them grow bigger teeth faster? since calcium is suppose help bones and teeth grow? cause i found these dried calcium enriched crickets at petsmart that are suppose to be for reptiles. would this be bad for my rbs? are do u guyz think it would be ok?

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
CHI said:
what if i fed my rb something that has calcium in it... would this help them grow bigger teeth faster? since calcium is suppose help bones and teeth grow? cause i found these dried calcium enriched crickets at petsmart that are suppose to be for reptiles. would this be bad for my rbs? are do u guyz think it would be ok?
hmm..not sure if that will work...but make sure it won't kill your fish...if you decide to feed that

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wut if i put a fan with something tied onto it and let it spin directly in front of my aquarium alot.... do u think this would desentize them
... maybe even color it red cause i heard they can see color

·
Registered
242 Posts
I got my p's less skittish by just sitting right in front of the tank and watching them with my face in plain view of them only about a foot away, they eventually started coming right up to the glass to see what I was and now they wont eat anything unless it's right in the open... now they purposely chase the goldfish into the center of the tank (the visible area) and eat them as if to put on a show for me, when finished, they will park right against the glass looking out at me. not skittish at all....could be because I have been watching them about 2 hours every day this way for over 3 months ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.