Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was skimming through some info on FLowerHorn Cichlids (damn, they are cool) and I found one story where someone had a 240g tank with a pair of old breeding FlowerHorns. Well, they decided that they wanted to get ride of them, but couldnt sell them, so they just added their piranhas anyway, tihnking the FH's would be gone by sunrise. Well, they woke up to find a pack of 16 medium sized RBP's completely destroyed. Now, I find this hard to believe. I always hear you guys say anything with P's means death for the fist that isnt a piranha.

Ive heard stories about Jags doing this to Rhoms, but that's because Jags are furiously predatory when grow up.

Im not trying to stir up sh*t, but damn, are FH's that agressive? A large pack of medium sized RBP's seems like quote an admirable foe.

DB

·
Registered
983 Posts
FH's can be very aggressive that is why most people put them by themselves. My FH knocked down my divider in my tank and killed my Red Devil, which was the most aggressive fish I have ever had. Now I could not imagine how aggressive a breeding pair would be. Some P's are very skittish but some can be very aggressive.It all depends on the fishes personality. Plus they put those P's in the FH's territory which will cause the FH's to be even more aggressive. Breeding + their territory + FH = Terror.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Novato said:
they put those P's in the FH's territory which will cause the FH's to be even more aggressive. Breeding + their territory + FH = Terror.
[snapback]906634[/snapback]​
100% agree!

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Novato said:
It all depends on the fishes personality. Plus they put those P's in the FH's territory which will cause the FH's to be even more aggressive.
[snapback]906634[/snapback]​
I agree. Tough kids going over to another turf doesnt mean that they'll have the advantage. Also, size factors and going against a breeding pair is a sure shot indication that the pair would certainly be more aggressive due to protection of their area or babies if there were some present.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I actually had a nightmare last night about comming into my room and seeing that my flowerhorn had gotten into my RBP tank. Pretty scary stuff, eh? Hah. Well anyways if I were to put money on it I would go with the RBP's but I wouldn't wanna experiment with my fish.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Flowerhorns are, without a doubt, one of the most aggressive aquarium fish. In fact, they are often bred for their aggression, so the story isn't so farfetched.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I would think its possible. Ps arnt that agressive when a fish isnt hurt, i mean from all the books I read on them, they dont usually attack healthy fish. So i could see a big FH smacking some RBP around.

·
tap or snap
11,911 Posts
Fido said:
I would think its possible. Ps arnt that agressive when a fish isnt hurt, i mean from all the books I read on them, they dont usually attack healthy fish. So i could see a big FH smacking some RBP around.
[snapback]907021[/snapback]​
ah, so i see that the times that my piranhas ate perfectly fine, large goldfish doesnt count. or the fact that countless other members feed their piranhas perfectly healthy fish. i.e. redragon feeding his redbellies an albino oscar that was equal to or greater in size than them.

anyhow, newly acclimated fish being put into a tank of a breeding pair of flowerhorns that have already established territory = death. when i first put my caribes into my tank, they got pushed around by my convicts that were only 2" [caribes were 5"]. now imagine a full grown breeding pair of one of the most aggressive fish in the home aquaria. it really isn't too hard to believe.

and man, i've seen some videos of flowerhorns seriously ramming the glass so hard that you can hear the smack. check flowerhornusa.com

·
Danse Macabre!
10,561 Posts
piranha45 said:
twitch that statement only applies to opinions, not blatant facts. We'll just have to blame this on your faulty memory I guess.
[snapback]907643[/snapback]​
You're the kind of person who's great with scientific info and facts so this should be easy for you, find me a source where you're getting this "fact" from. No need for a full scientific paper, you can use an article from a credible website that based their conclusions off a scientific paper if you'd like. Being that it's a "blatant fact" and I know very well that you know the difference between a fact and opinion, I can't wait to see your research.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
k. I use post # 1 on this thread. I could list a couple hundred other similar threads as well concerning disappointed piranha keepers, but I'm lazy and I'm sure you've run into plenty of such posts yourself already.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
Grammatical ambiguity at work. Even at the very least, its a piece of information that the world's aquarist-hopefuls would benefit from, including the fellow who wrote this thread.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.