Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question....its not really bugging me or anything...i have 2 reds, and 4 caribe they stick to the left half of the tank...RARELY go to the right side of the tank only if i walk up to the tank and put my face right to the glass they scatter over there....would this mean they dont like the set-up on that half or...

thanks

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
just a quick question....its not really bugging me or anything...i have 2 reds, and 4 caribe they stick to the left half of the tank...RARELY go to the right side of the tank only if i walk up to the tank and put my face right to the glass they scatter over there....would this mean they dont like the set-up on that half or...

thanks
They just feel more safer and secure there....that's it.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just thought since my red (6") since hes the biggest. he chills under a rock and pretty much owns the tank...since he chills there the others will thinking hes the leader or something....my caribe go up to the red go right sideways and dance at him...he just looks at them like your a retard..

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
it could be ur heat setup it could be warmer or cooler on that side of the tank and thats the temp they prefer or their could be a current flowing through that side. many possiblities .. or they could just feel safer more places to hide..

mine did that a lot too chilled on one side.. could be lighting effects too ..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes, If you have your heater on the one side of the tank, try putting it in the middle. It could be warmer. Also there ccould be more "safe hiding" decor in that area. Just wait it out they should in a while. Also you can try feeding them on the side they dont go on, over time they should swim around the whole tank

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
...my caribe go up to the red go right sideways and dance at him...
I think that dance is the " I wanna fight, dance"...Keep an eye on that.
[/quote]

oh i definatly know that dance...the caribe fight alot...i could careless..i know no harm is going to be done....my heater is on the right side of the tank...so since they're chillin on the left water is 25 in that spot where they're at...the lighting is the same all around....i have my filtration (waters being pushed out) on the elft side..but its at top and they never hang out at the top...so dont know if thats a possibilty? right now there is a feeder in my tank and 2 caribe went over to the right to check him out..now back to the left side...

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
My irritan has ALWAYS sat on the left, no matter what I do or what tank he is in. I think he just likes it for some reason, who knows.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My irritan has ALWAYS sat on the left, no matter what I do or what tank he is in. I think he just likes it for some reason, who knows.
hmmmmm......maybe ill take down the rock formation i have on the right side...and plant it this weekend then...see what they think about it then...i dont have one single piece of plantation in my tank..might even grab some driftwood too

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fully plant and go all out.....p's are so much happier when their tank is like that. Plus the benefits of plants on the water is huge.
i dont think im goignn to get real plants...cus there like 15$ a piece here...and if they die that would suck...probably going to do some fake plants...ill have to see how big my check is from work

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
fully plant and go all out.....p's are so much happier when their tank is like that. Plus the benefits of plants on the water is huge.
i dont think im goignn to get real plants...cus there like 15$ a piece here...and if they die that would suck...probably going to do some fake plants...ill have to see how big my check is from work
[/quote]

If $ is a problem then get some pots and pvc pipes a home depot or something. It usually works. They can hide in that when they need to.

·
Registered
105 Posts
[/quote]

If $ is a problem then get some pots and pvc pipes a home depot or something. It usually works. They can hide in that when they need to.
[/quote]

what pots and pipes do you mean? i searched homedepot website and i dont see anything that could be of use.. thanks

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[/quote]

[/quote]

i think that would look pretty ghetto....i dont think its hiding spots they need...maybe a change of deco...decent sized piece of driftwood...with a couple new plants...i guess ill see how it goes

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
[/quote]

[/quote]

i think that would look pretty ghetto....i dont think its hiding spots they need...maybe a change of deco...decent sized piece of driftwood...with a couple new plants...i guess ill see how it goes
[/quote]

That is ghetto but that is a good way to go if you dont have much $.... I personally have a bare tank so i cant really say much.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kobe...hes just talking about larger pvc pipes and plant pots to toss in the tank for my fish to hid in....its not a matter of them hiding....plus i dont think they carry 7-8" round tubing...if they did..it would still be right ghetto...i think im going to take my rock formation down on the right side of my tank, toss in a decent sized piece of drift, then some plantations around it...maybe this will get them to explore some more

·
Registered
105 Posts
kobe...hes just talking about larger pvc pipes and plant pots to toss in the tank for my fish to hid in....its not a matter of them hiding....plus i dont think they carry 7-8" round tubing...if they did..it would still be right ghetto...i think im going to take my rock formation down on the right side of my tank, toss in a decent sized piece of drift, then some plantations around it...maybe this will get them to explore some more
ohh i see, that would look kind of odd

maybe try and redecorate your tank, move stuff around so that there will be no claimed territories. also add plants (real or fake) so they may feel more comfortable. but make sure they have enough room to swim around still...

have a picture of your tank setup? so maybe you can get some pointers..

good luck!

·
"Pygocentrus cariba"
11,882 Posts
For some reason (sometimes a reason only known by the piranhas themselves) they feel more comfortable at that certain end of the tank. My P. nattereri shoal is the same way, and so were my P. cariba shoal when I had them.
~Taylor~

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For some reason (sometimes a reason only known by the piranhas themselves) they feel more comfortable at that certain end of the tank. My P. nattereri shoal is the same way, and so were my P. cariba shoal when I had them.
~Taylor~
odd stuff...none the less i still love these guys :nod:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts