Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the size of the tank that p's are in limit the size of the fish. I'm new to all of this so I though I would as the experts.

I have 5, 1-1.5" rbp's in a 20g right now, planning on upgrading soon. Any thoughts about tank size, plants, etc. would be appreciated.

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
If they are kept in a small tank for too long there will be multiple problems to be aware of.
1) Increased aggression as they become too big for the tank. Each will attempt to claim territories and since this tank is small, territories will overlap. This will push the fish into conflict. Basically the bigger they get, less room for all to swim, territory desputes that can and probly will lead to death.

2) Fish growth will be stunted I believe. If forced to be in a small tank, long term growth will be lowerd and fish may not grow to full potential given adequate tank space.

3) That many fish in that small a tank, espeacially P's, Ill reck havoc on water conditions.

These are all things to look out for. With 5 reds I would suggest a Minimum of 65-75 gallon tank, and even that might will be overstocked. A good sized tank for them would be 100 when they get bigger.

~Dj

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
any fish that will eat in front of you is good! size dont really matter. pygos grow real fast. serras grow real slow. as long as they are healty. size dont really matter. you will get more rewards from growing them from juvi to adults

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm glad to hear you're upgrading soon. Within only a few months you'll be pushing the limits of that tank. I would recommend upgrade sooner than that though. For 5 I would recommend housing them in at least an 80 gallon tank if not larger.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
o snap its eric said:
any fish that will eat in front of you is good! size dont really matter. pygos grow real fast. serras grow real slow. as long as they are healty. size dont really matter. you will get more rewards from growing them from juvi to adults
if your fish can't grow then he isn't going to be healthy. size does matter in this situation.....your p's can even die from being cramped. Other piranhas might kill him because of increased aggression and they can die from stress too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Upgrade soon....i think you'd be alright with a 75, but that's up to you....although there's nothing wrong with going bigger,as long as you have it set up right!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.