Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my freinds looking into fish and i told him cichlids are a good beginner fish because they basically can live through hell(not taht were gonna put the fish through it, he knows about cyciling and water condtions and everything like that). so i was wondering whats a good beginner fish for a 30 gallon tank?

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
never tell a new hobbyist a fish is good cause it can live through hell (even if it can) cause they need to learn good care habits. a 30 gallon is a great first tank. id recommend him to get firemouths personally since theyre great looking hardy fish and they can coexist with many other fish if he wishes to add more later.
stay away from convicts for now becuase they wil probably breed and give him more than he might want right now. plus they can become aggresive and he might have some conflict if he adds other fish to the tank. tell him to pick up some firemouths (2-3) and let them thrive for a few months until he gets the hang of it.
they will thrive in any decor and wont go crazy on decorations. very pretty mild mannered fish for a new fish keeper. once hes up and running he might just fall in love with the guys but if hes over them he can easily expand to new fish.
simple flake and small pellets foods will do fine also. they wont mess too much so maint. wont be a headache however he should still practice good habits no matter how easy the fish is to care for.

·
^word
4,323 Posts
Pair of convicts. After rearing a few broods he will have plenty of experience to move on to bigger and better things

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.