Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was just on the news that the scientists that cloned dolly the sheep have been testing rainbow trout to see if they can feel pain - they think that they do

let the arguments begin

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this time they tested it by getting bees to sting the truot and they did show signs of pain in their behaiviour.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
There have been some heated debates about this topic before, in the Lounge. And that's where this thread is heading

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
pardon this moment of boldness, but

NO @$#ING #$%^ THEY FEEL PAIN

Even if it was never scientifically proven till now, I was always under the impression they felt pain.

Does that affect my thoughts towards both feeders and Unnecessarily Gory feedings?

Nope.

Matter of fact, couple weeks back I was showing my little 15 yr old brother some of MAD piranha's feeder videos, and in the middle of one he said "Wow, good thing fish dont feel pain!".
I can't help but think he must be mentally retarded to some extent.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol - wait untill someone digs up the last thread on this

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm just wondering why anyone would say no, there is absolutely no logical reason that any animal would NOT feel pain. Pain is used as a warning trigger, of course fish feel pain. That goes under the DUH category.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I think in whatever form of pain they feel it is deferently different from our pain
...And regardless off what the actual answer is, I would like to believe that they do feel pain

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I cannot think of one reason a fish would need to feel pain. There are basically 2 things in a fish’s life....predator or prey. The dont need to feel if something tried to eat them, they already know it because that is life. They have numerous senses to make them aware of their surroundings. Pain is not needed.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I see your point Grosse.. and I understand what you are saying,
I think many people and many researchers will argue both ways... Is there any 100% facts yet? ...that are agreable?

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I dont know of any, but I do know when you see a fish with heater burn that he got from just sitting against the heater, I doubt he felt his flesh burning or he may have actually moved. That point was brought out in the last debate by someone, (cant remember who) and to me it says a lot. Maybe it there were heaters in the wild there would be a need for a pain response.

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
wow, I wasnt aware of that. Well obviously then, if they can sit and let their flesh burn away, they must not... interesting

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I dont know if they feel pain, but they must feel something. Whether its pain or not? It also depends on how you define pain as well. I saw a few tests with feeders to see if they would react to pain by flinching or something and they didnt, however while fishing I once hooked a fish and the hook went through the eye socket, and I tried to remove it (didnt have pliers to cut barb off) and it make a noise an squirmed while I pulled it back through, it lost the eye I think

but who knows, not me

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Yea well if someone was pulling my eye out through my mouth I would make some noise and squirm around whether I could feel it or not.
Why? You can't feel it. Prick your fish with a needle and see if it writhes or not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.