Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is limiting my number of tanks, so I have to try to mix as many of the fish that I want as possible in as few tanks as possible... I am sacrificing my failed molly breeding experiment but I really want to keep my 3 blue gourami, but my question is, can I add a couple of small figure eight (or similar) puffers to the gourami tank? I've heard/read conflicting info on the brackish water requirements of puffers and they are fairly aggressive (so I'm told) so I'm not 100% sure they will work with the gourami. But I really want them! Thanks for any advice...

Also, on peteducation.com they say that dwarf puffers need a 30 gallon tank. Is that legit? It seems pretty crazy that a 1" fish needs 30 gallons. Especially one that trolls around all slow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your gouramies will probably get killed by your figure 8 puffers.. besides, figure 8 puffers need brackish water to thrive. IMO, gouramies are boring, especially dwarf gouramies (no offense). Maybe you should convert that 30 gallon of yours to a dwarf Puffer tank, you can get a couple of them little guys in there, or better yet , convert it to a Cichlid tank!

·
reasonably awesome
7,613 Posts
to me, dwarf puffers just screeeeeeeam HI IM SO CUTE
AND ROUND, WOULDN'T I MAKE A GREAT FEEDER FISH FOR YOUR CICHLIDS? :D

I'm tempted to buy them every time I go to lfs that sell them... but the 2 bucks slaps some sensibility in me

·
Beautiful One
8,798 Posts
puffers chomp down feeder just as much as piranhas

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
the main problem IMO would be the water requrements - the puffers may nip the gouramies, bur the gouramies can be aggressive also - in fact the only fish I ever said no to was my friends golden gourami which was just plain nasty, it bullied all of my cichlids and other fish for the 3 days I looked after it - and that was when I had quite a few cichlids and a busy community tank.
My experience with small puffers is that they die after a few days, but I have never actially seen much aggression - although I don't doubt thay can pack quite a punce with their little beak mouth.

I say if you can get them to live in the same water conditions then try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My experience with small puffers is that they die after a few days, but I have never actially seen much aggression - although I don't doubt thay can pack quite a punce with their little beak mouth.
Maybe it was because of the water parameters, did you add salt to it too? Small puffers are very fragile.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
I always have 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons - but when I bought these fish each time I was assured after asking that they were already in salt water

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't mix the puffers w/ fish that sh*t so much in the tank. They seem to be very sensitive to ammonia. Two of mine just died this morning
They died together. They died with smile on their faces. They're still cute even in morbid stage. Poor puffers. Also they shrunk to just 3/4 of size when they lived and their skin turned black from fluorecent green.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.