Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup I'm planning to get a 50-60 gallon tank and I wanted to know what yall think would be the best breed of pirahna and how many to get for that size tank. Also the best type of equipment as far as heaters, filters, etc. Any info would be appreciated I just wanted to get started on the right track and most of yall on this site seem to be very knowledgable on pirahnas. Thanks!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
depends what you want. if you want a solitary fish or a school(shoal?) of piranha's.keep in mind how large the species of piranha grows so you wont get too narow of a tank. example a 55 gallon is not a very good tank for large piranha's because its so narrow.

for heaters I would go with won bro's pro heat titanium heaters, those are great.

for filtration you have many choices, but try to get around 500-600 gph worth of filtration for a 50 to 60 gallon tank.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. As far as the fish I want a shoal, so what species would fit a 50-60 as a shoal.

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
spyderman said:
Get some baby red belly piranhas (Pygocentrus Natteri). I would suggest get 3 or 4 for your size tank.
..yes as a starter i would start with this fish too..very easy to take care of..just do you basic water changes daily ,feed well and you'll have some very nice p's..and i recommand you get small ones, they grow quick and its fun watching them grow...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas this will help me out alot with starting out. I think i'ma place my order in a week or two for some red's. Good lookin out!

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
thePACK said:
spyderman said:
Get some baby red belly piranhas (Pygocentrus Natteri). I would suggest get 3 or 4 for your size tank.
:nod: ..yes as a starter i would start with this fish too..very easy to take care of..just do you basic water changes daily ,feed well and you'll have some very nice p's..and i recommand you get small ones, they grow quick and its fun watching them grow...
yes, its definetly fun when they are small, I would get a couple 3" red bely piranha's. if you eventually plan on getting a larger tank you can even go with 6 or so in a smaller tank intell they get larger. thats what I did.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah what kind of equipment do you guys suggest for a 50-70 gallon. Like what kind of heater and filter's and how strong. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
there are many filters with many price tags. If your going with a basic set-up, I would say go with the hang on power filters. aquaclears or emp's seem to be the most popular. I have both, and personally I like the AC's better. As far as what size, it is good to have more filtration than needed as opposed to having less. For a 55 I would go with maybe 2 AC 300's. Sure it might be an overkill, but thats how I do it. On my 135 I have 2 AC 500's and a Fluval 404. Keeps the tank lookin good.

·
Registered
531 Posts
in a 55 gallon : 4 max i thinks, but 3 for life is better i thinks. if you wants a true shoal, gets 6-8 baby and buy a other tank in few months. (a 100 gallon is good)

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
I say start off with 6 babies for a 60 gal, then decrease to what ever suits them later on down the line. That way they get accustomed to you, you get the joy of seeing them grow, and make $$$ when selling bigger. For your filteration, I would suggest a AC 300 and a 402 powerhead or a Eiheim 2227 and aN ac 300. For heaters, I suggest an Ebo Jag (300 watt)for goods accuracy.

Good luck and keep asking for more advice if needed... we'll be here to help

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I actually found a tank today that I'm going to purchase in a couple days. I just have to do some rearranging in my room for the tank to fit. Disconnecting all the wires to all the electronics in my room and hooking them back up is a bitch!!! The tank is a 75 gallon and it's 48x15x24 that's the biggest I can go. How many red's can I get for this tank to grow their full potential and live a long time? Also which and how many filters should i get and which and how strong a heater?

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
You'll still need to have some decorations (plants, driftwood, gravel) to make it as close to their natural environment as you can. Depending if you'll decorate with fake plants depends also on what kind of lighting you'll be needing for this tank. Soft lighting is good but you have to sacrifice if using live plants. Gravel color depends on your interest, but most would use natural color or black to show off true color of Ps. Aside from that, cycle your tank to ensure comfort for your Ps. Good Luck and anyone who thinks Ive left any other details out, pls feel free to help a fellow (new member) of thbis site!!! Good luck bro!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I was planning on getting black gravel, real plants, and some wood too. So for the real plants I will have to use the stronger brighter light right? Also when filling up the tank what do i do to the water as far as checking the PH levels and what not?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.