Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wavy
12,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now ive never bought anyfish through the net before, let alone piranha and ive seen some pics wiht little plastic cases or big white containers and stuff like that. Whats the best way to acclimate a fish thats been in transport for like 4 hours??

·
ooo barracuda
6,075 Posts
i just realized u are Trigga

on another note use the slow drip method. When you new fsih come in the water will probably be tinted a different colour because of the chems used in shipping the fish. Get an airline tube and syhpon water from the tank into the fish bag. Tie the tube in a knot first or clamp it wiht something so it drips slowly in the bag (hence the slow-drip method). After about 10-15 minutes siphon out some water from the fish bad that way youll remove the tainted water. Wait another 10 minutes or so and do it again. Your bag should be filled with full tank water by then you should be able to dump them in the tank.

·
Wavy
12,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just realized u are Trigga

on another note use the slow drip method. When you new fsih come in the water will probably be tinted a different colour because of the chems used in shipping the fish. Get an airline tube and syhpon water from the tank into the fish bag. Tie the tube in a knot first or clamp it wiht something so it drips slowly in the bag (hence the slow-drip method). After about 10-15 minutes siphon out some water from the fish bad that way youll remove the tainted water. Wait another 10 minutes or so and do it again. Your bag should be filled with full tank water by then you should be able to dump them in the tank.
yea..its me
lol

thanks but what if its in that little plastic container thing so i doesnt chew the bag? Can i just pour it out of that into the bag and do the drip method?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i use the slow drip method using airline tubing. Its small enought that it fills up slow enough. Im not sure if anyone else does this but i think a member names sean told me about it and since then it has been the method i use for all my fish.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I had no idea that was you Trigga. You changed your name and avatar.

Anyway, it is a great experience because it is like Christmas morning. When you get home there is a wonderful present next to your door. I order all of my piranha via the net, and I love delivery day!

·
Skankzilla
18,320 Posts
i use the slow drip method using airline tubing. Its small enought that it fills up slow enough. Im not sure if anyone else does this but i think a member names sean told me about it and since then it has been the method i use for all my fish.
Airline is a great method. Leave the fish in the box/bag (unless bag is leaking of course), add the airline. Remove some water from the box/bag, let the airline drip in. Keep going for 40-60 minutes.

If you don't have an airline you can always use a cup instead. Dump a cup of tank water in the box/bag, then wait 10 minutes then add another cup of tank water. Repeat till water level raises, when it gets close to the top take out a cup of water from the box and then replace it with a cup from the tank. Do this for 40-60 minutes.

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
What I do is put the fish in a 5 gallon bucket with the shipping water...and then add some tank water....about 25% more to the bucket. Then I just do water changes in the bucket with tank water over the course of about 1/2 an hour to an hour depending on the difference in the tank temp and the shipping water temp. I start with 25% water changes every 10 minutes or so...and then up it to 50% changes near the end. The fish will really start to wake up and become active. Never lost a fish with this method...and they have never shown any kind of shock when added to the tank.

I also remove them from the container they were shipped in. Tthat is just to keep them from biting through the bag...or biting other fish in the same bag. I take them out because as they become more active...they will be thrashing against that container and those holes are not smooth edged and can rub off scales and trash up the fish a bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.