Piranhas Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
looking good prime. here's a picture of my new batch for you =]

how's your baby brine shrimp hatching skills going?
its going well, and i think i finally got it down, pretty much, took several attempts to get it to point i have it now.
[/quote]

You no call, you no writyeee lol do like I said bud, get a 5 or 10 gallon tank, it's much easier. Depends on if you breed for fun or profit though

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
yeah crosshair, gonna call you today. if you are in alaska, it too early right now, lol.

bad news...over the past day or so, about 1/3 have been wiped out!!

i think it is a combination of overfeeding, waaaayy too much, and not enough water changes. its hard to judge how much to give them of BBS, but my sponge filters had it all over their surface and a ton of it released when i squeezed them.

gonna step up the water changes, and, if anything, try to underfeed a little, but more frequently.

i need crosshair's expertise though,

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
honestly I believe a lot of them died because your sponge filters aren't properly cycled... do you see them eating?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ya they are eating as i see it in their stomachs. i used older hob filters, few weeks old when used, and biospira to help the sponge filters along. oh also, squeezed sponge from hob on parent tank. plus, hardly any died until yesterday, though i would say 2/3 now
hard to say, i may have gone overboard with what happened and messed up the cycle in the long run. sunday all parameters were fine, gonna test tommorow again.

·
AQHU RULES
7,162 Posts
Sounds like you have a right handful there...........hope its going well for you shame they are dieing at a rate of 2/3

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sounds like you have a right handful there...........hope its going well for you shame they are dieing at a rate of 2/3
ya, i'm gonna feed more frequently, but much less each time. i could tell there was a lot of uneaten bbs on the sponge filters. its hard to know how much to feed them, being my first batch. I believe in a post by CROSSHAIR, he said feed until all of them have some food in their stomachs. i'm also gonna try smaller, but more frequent water changes.

it's hard to know exactly what to do, but CROSSHAIR is willing to talk to me on the phone and hopefully we will connect soon, today even...he said there are alot of little "tricks" in taking care of fry.

just that one day was bad as far as deaths, like i said 1/2 to 2/3 died, unfortunately, but very few yesterday or today.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Don't know if I missed it, but you do turn your sponge filters off when you feed, right? Straining the bbs is important as well.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Whats the difference?
In what? BBS? He's using the 2 liter method if I'm not mistaken and that doesn't yield the same as say a 5 or 10 gallon tank.
[/quote]

How do you utilize a 5gallon or 10 gallon tank for hatching bbs? Since it's square, wouldn't there be dead spots in the tank, I tried this a while back and didn't have much success with it. Also, how would you keep the bbs shrimp alive?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
could probably use a t joint and hook 2 airstones up at either end of the tank

also im pretty sure bs are marine so if you wanted to keep them alive you would need marine salt

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey, What do you say Kevin? Congrats on your first batch. I am sorry to hear about the losses. It happens sometimes like that. I agree about turning off your filter prior to feeding would help as well as 20% frequent water changes at least once a day. Also clean your sponges in the parent tank residue bucket. Although they like live food, you can freeze the bbs in a zip lock bag and break off pieces to avoid over feeding them. What is the latest status on the first batch? Have your breeders had another spawn since then? Good luck Kev!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
wow, that really was a major problem with not turning off the sponge filters at feeding time, a ton of loose bbs had gathered up over the past several days. it also has stunted their growth as they are not much larger than my 2nd batch. bone-headed mistake, i guess i figured they would just feed off the sponge filters. my first batch ever though so its ok.

the first batch is doing ok now, though like i said about 1/2, maybe little less than that, hard to tell, died that one day.

2nd batch is doing perfectly fine in another 30g, no losses, and probably 3,000-4,000 in there. i just started feeding them bbs today with the sponge filters off, lol.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
not much has changed since i last posted. about the same number in both tanks. with the 2nd batch, i only have lost a small handful, maybe 25 or so, like i said out of 3,000-4,000.

i did toss the breeding pair into my other 75g, with a schoal of 3 terns and piraya, all similiar size...i had to slow em down somehow, lol. did that for 3 or 4 days, now they are back in a 75g by themselves, i'm hoping it takes a little longer for them to breed again, few weeks would be perfect.

·
Registered
738 Posts
also im pretty sure bs are marine so if you wanted to keep them alive you would need marine salt
Adding some baking soda to soften the water helps the hatch rate. You don't need or want the bbs surviving long in the tank. The baby P's are voracios eaters, and there should not be many left over after a feeding. They are like a bbs strainer, they can clear them out quickly. If you keep the sponges relatively clean, there should be no reason to rinse them until the fry are transferred to another tank. If the sponges don't contain enough bacteria from the start, and loads of bbs are sucked into them to rot, that will kill off a bunch of fry in a hurry, too. Best to leave the sponges alone, don't overfeed and remove the dead ones regularly.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
could probably use a t joint and hook 2 airstones up at either end of the tank

Close, I use a joint and hook two airlines into one and just leave it the airline in there under weight. It's not how many bubbles that counts in bbs but rather how big the bubbles are. Big enough bubbles will churn the tank and my 10 gallon is a ten gallon tall I got from AKSKIRMISH. Works fine and I've even done well with this method in a 5 gallon tank.

In my own humble opinion, if you are getting bbs stuck in your sponge filters then you are using to small of one. I use huge sponge filters to where there is hardly any suction what-so-ever around them. This way I can feed without worrying about cleaning the filter all the time.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
one question.....
how do you estimate how many eggs and fry there are?
i know you can take a pic and count at larger sizes but what about when there small fry?
take small sample then baseoon that or...?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts