Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10" tyre-track eel, and tommorrow I am planning buying a fire eel about the same size, do you think they will be good together or will one eat the other?

opinions please

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've never seen them together. The yellow spiny eels I had, which are alot like the tire track eels from what I've seen, always burrowed under the gravel with just their heads sticking out. All the fire eels I've seen have always been hiding in caves or wrapped around rocks. So when it comes to where they hang out I don't think there would be much of a problem.

But don't fire eels get a lot bigger, thicker and longer, than tire track eels? If so you never know what's going to happen, some day you could find part of the tire track sticking out of the fire eel's mouth.

If I was to venture a guess, I'd think that the fire eel, because of size differential, would kill the tire track eel. But anything is worth a shot once.

·
Goldfish Chunks In Teeth
2,505 Posts
hell yeah Innes! I just bought a 10" fire eel on sat. the thing is awesome...ate worms the first night...I have him in with a 6" oscar in a 100 gallon right now...they have no probs, but I have been looking infor up on the eels today and it says at sizes like that it is aggresive towards there own species and maybe other eels...

however, I also saw seen pics with the 2 tankmates..I will try to find them tommorrow...

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well over the years I have read conflicting opinions on this, I know that both live in much the same way, as I have owned both in the past, but not together, I had read that fire eels are social and like other eels, and tyre-tracks are not so social and may eat other eels.
I'm not too sure if I believe that though, I think perhaps the odd time it might happen, but not as a rule.
I also know that a fire eel can grow to aroung 1m and a tyre track can only get to about 70cm but that is not what I'm worried about as I have never seen them above 10" although I know they can get larger.

mainly I'm worried that I will pay more for the fire eel than I ever paid for a fish and then have it either eaten, or find out it is simply unsuitable.

I think I'm going to try it anyway

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.