Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
When did you take the pic, night or day? Was it when you first turned the lights on after having them off for a while? If that pic was taken when the lights had been on for a couple of hours then I will definately say it's a rhom. If it was taken when the lights were just introduced then it still may be a medinai.

Joe

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
grosse gurke said:
Looks like a rhom to me, but last time I said that Genin slamed me
:D
:laugh: Yes but I believe you may have the last laugh. It does look more like a rhom. However, if you look very close see how it still has orange around the pectoral fin area. In the other picture that was a rather distinctive red and we couldn't see the end of the tail.
In this one we can see the end of the tail and there is a black band,which i stated before usually only happens to my medinai when the lights are off, and his red has turned to a very light orange which once again looks like my medinai when the lights have been off. Once he states when he took the pic, day or night, and whether the lights had been off for a while, then an ID (as accurate as possible from pictures) can be made with as little confounds as possible.

Joe

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
Well if that was during the day then it is not a medinai. Fishman2 I see what you mean about the compressus group, infact I have seen another fish on pfish.net that looks exactly like that one and myself and others said it was a medinai. It should still be on the first page of piranha discussion if you check. Maybe it is a member of S. Compressus.

Joe

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
This post is a clear example of putting a tag on fish on a poor photograph. What I see is mixture of large spots, some elongated and other small ones, fitting any species of serrasalmin to include S. rhombeus, and the compressus group. For a person to simply imply it is a rhombeus on structure alone is doomed to later regret it.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
hastatus said:
This post is a clear example of putting a tag on fish on a poor photograph. What I see is mixture of large spots, some elongated and other small ones, fitting any species of serrasalmin to include S. rhombeus, and the compressus group. For a person to simply imply it is a rhombeus on structure alone is doomed to later regret it.
yeah this is very true, fish can be deformed and appear like something they arent, and many Serr species look very alike if you were color blind

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
making best on the picture... although it does share some similiarities with the current compressus photos, I see some differences in finage, as well as facial structure. Its a good looking fish, and you might have to leave it at that for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.