Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is the first of my posts on how to treat desieses - please add any more information you can

here are some pics of fin rot which have been submitted from the PFury members - if you have a pic of fin rot or pics of fish with nipped fins would you please post it in this thread

Piraya with fin rott on caudal fin (tail)

Guppy with fin rot - again on its caudal fin (tail)

Sometimes you may think you have fin rot when in fact the fish has just been nipped like in these pics:

P.Nattereri with a nipped caudal fin (tail)

Fin rot is a desiese that causes fins to literally rot away, it easily recognised by scruffy fins and sometimes it causes holes in the middle of the fin.

to treat fin rot I would suggest you firstly do a 30% water change (as I like to do before treating any desiese) and I would reccomend you have salt in your tank (1 tablespoon per 5 USA gallons or 1 teaspoon per 3 of the rest of the worlds gallons) also I would medicate following the instructions on the bottle, and if dealing with piranhas you should half the stated dose as piranhas are sensative to medicines - every LFS in the world will have a fin rot treatment and they are very effective.
This course of treatment should cure your fish.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Death in # said:
u never seem to amaze us
thanks I guess

I know what you ment - thanks

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
In addition to what has already been said…

There are several factors that cause fin rot. The primary causes are stress and poor water conditions. In my experience, many fish that are shipped to me usually lose some finnage due to the stress of shipping. This usually does not pose a problem if you ensure that they are quarantined and kept in good water. The fins usually grow back within a week or two. All that is need are water changes and salt (in minor cases, salt is not even necessary). Other causes are secondary bacterial infection initially caused by parasites or injuries due to aggression. Then again, these conditions also lead back to stress and poor water.

As far as treatment goes, I recommend that you investigate what's the probable cause. What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings? Is your pH stable? Did you add any new fish that could have introduced a parasitic or bacterial infection? Correct these problems first.

For the fish that have fin rot, if it's not severe, water changes and salt will fix the problem quickly. I am not a proponent of using meds, but if the condition is spreading rapidly toward the body, then I would suggest the prompt use of antibiotics. The Maracyn line of antibiotics have been successfully used in treating piranha so there is a good, safe start.

·
Captain Britannia
4,819 Posts
heres a pic of a red with really ripped up fins.
they all gre back within a week or so i did add some salt and did a water change and segregation from the others and the red is now ok
dixon

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
Great thread Innes!!!
If you'd like I can send you some recent pix of that same Piraya with a fin rot. The whole tail fell off but has generated 50%. Ill send pix soon enough to show comparison.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One of my reds has just gotten a bad case of fin rot. I found him on New Years day, so treatment of any medications/salt was impossible at the time. Immediately I made a makeshift hospital (bucket with airator and heater)
, did approximately a 25%-30% water change and transfered the poor little guy over. I have 2 concerns at this point:

1: When looking at him, it looked as though the disease had spread really quickly and that He would surely die. When is the point of no return, I have medicated him and am watching him closely but would appreciate input.

2: When/if the red survives this, will he be killed by his other 2 tank mates when reintroduced back into the main tank?

All replies to this post would be greatly appreciated and I appologize if it's in the wrong category, I was reading for info, and found this one so posted here.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
oh i just made a post to see if anyone had pics.. My bad didn't notice this post...

·
Registered
60 Posts
my rdb p is going though treatment right now for that. i didn't even see it coming very well. But i am new at the hobby. I went to petsmart , and go some stuff called:
Mardel tetracycline tablets
it helps treat popeye, gill disease, and fin and tail rot
so far it is working really well.

chevy

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am thinking of treating my fish with the salt thing. But I have a few questions

its bad to overdose salt right? so is it ok to underdose?

do you want to leave the salt in there, or do a water change soon after?
do you only want to treat the sick with salt, or is ok for fish that do not need treatment?
what about temp? should you put it up al little when adding salt?

thanx for any info eh

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
P-Power said:
I am thinking of treating my fish with the salt thing. But I have a few questions

its bad to overdose salt right? so is it ok to underdose?

do you want to leave the salt in there, or do a water change soon after?
do you only want to treat the sick with salt, or is ok for fish that do not need treatment?
what about temp? should you put it up al little when adding salt?

thanx for any info eh
ive been treatin the whole tank since i got caribes in ,,

this is what i do , i take 10 -15 gals a day ( depending on energy) refill buckets with fresh water add salt to buckets , let salt dissolve into buckets, then re ad water to tank, i just stoped doin it like a week ago , and now the smaller caribes fins are lookin a bit tatertered so im gonna re start doin it again tommorow.plus the rest of the fish in the tank are beat to sh*t so itl prob help there wounds out a bit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought a 33G tank and included was a RB (the owner just wanted to get rid of everything). The tank was in atrocious shape when I received it and the P doesn't look much better. I have put him into a nice big 125g tank while I clean and cycle the 33G I got him in.
Can anyone on this forum answer the below questions please?
A) Is this fin rot?
B) If so, how do I treat this...salt 1 teaspoon per 5G and antibiotics?
C) Is there anything else I can do nutrition wise, I have been feeding him frozen unthawed cooked shrimp.
D) His right gill looks ..well bad, what can be done for this?

Thanks much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts