Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting ready to set up a 55 gallon what would u go with when i comes to filtration, thanks for the help

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
If it's for a piranha tank, try finding a filter (or multiple filters with a combined flow rate) that runs no less than 300gph, and the higher flow rate, the better!
As for brands: it depends on your budget, but if you have the money, I recommend Eheim (they're rather expensive, though).

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
wet/dry filters are the best for freshwater, however you would need a hang on siphon box to make it work in a non drilled tank, which is no big deal it just adds $40 to the cost

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
You might as well put up a poll for this question, everyone has their own preferances, Personally I go for undergravel filters, and I am using hagen powerheads.
But you will get so many answers on what the best is, when it doesn't really matter anyway.
Whatever filter you choose will find be suitable, as long as you do regular water changes, likewise if you don't do water changes you will never find a filter that is good enough.
I suggest you go by price.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
I have 2 AC 300 on my 55G tank, and they work great. The AC300 is rated at 300 gallons per hour so that's a turnover of 10 which I have heard is what you would like for a P tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check out the Emporer 400, nice filter and works real well, cheap too. Check out www.bigalsonline.com. I run a emperor 400 on a 55G and it works great, nver had a problem, and it has a bio wheel which is nice.

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
out of all the filters. i think your best bet for a 55gal is to get 1 aqua clear 500... you will have lots of filteration.

·
Registered
891 Posts
your best bet is a wet/dry, but they are very expensive
after that is the eheim canister also very expensive but u can try a Fluval 304 they work great
the cheapest most efficient filter is a emperor 400

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
You might as well put up a poll for this question, everyone has their own preferances, Personally I go for undergravel filters, and I am using hagen powerheads.
But you will get so many answers on what the best is, when it doesn't really matter anyway.
Whatever filter you choose will find be suitable, as long as you do regular water changes, likewise if you don't do water changes you will never find a filter that is good enough.
I suggest you go by price.
ugh.....UG filters blow... stay away from those.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Xenon I will agree, try to do maintainence on those turds,

Scientifically wet drys are superior, they have vast amounts of surface area to host bacteria on and therefore far out perform all others, they can be fairly cheap if you buy the media on ebay or big als, and then make your own sump and siphon box

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
When I first started with my 55g, I had to keep a tight budget and go the cheapest way. I had an UGF with the help of 2 tubes and airstones, 24" bubble wand, and a Magnum 350. This wasnt the best set up to begin my P's with but after numerous water change, cleaning, and the help of PF advisors.. they've grown from dime size to 4" in 4 months and now living with a much better set up in a 100g.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.