Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a wet/dry filter is, what is does, why it is or isn't better than a canister or other filter, and how can I build one?

·
Registered
30 Posts
What a wet/dry filter is, what is does
Either a small holding tank or canister placed under your aquarium, commonly under the stand. Sumps (holding tank) provide biological filtration. Canisters provide both bio, mechanical, and chemical filtration.

why it is or isn't better than a canister or other filter
Sumps provide a very large surface area for denitrifying bacteria to colonize.
Canisters provide a variety of filtration elements to your aquarium.
Biological filtration, Moderate size surface area, varying from brand
Mechanical Filtration, for polishing the water, removing the small debris floating around
Chemical Filtration, for removing unwanted chemicals, breaking down ammonia and nitrate.

Biological Filtration preceeds any other type of filtration for a healthy aquarium. Some may say wetdry's dont possess the added element to the tank in making it look crystal clear. I personally prefer Wet Dry's b/c in the past I've kept moderatly high bio loads in my tanks. I also do a compbination with my wet drys. EG: my 75g tank has a wet dry + an emperor 280.

how can I build one
Type DIY Wet Dry in google. If then you still can find any sites, just PM me and I'll help you out.

·
Beautiful One
8,799 Posts
It would be easier to buy a wetdry unless you know a lot about filters.

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow it is surprising that not too many people know more about these filters! Thankyou to the few that answered.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Wet drys can handle all types of filtration if setup up properly. IF you put sponge prefilters in the drip box it will provide mechanical filtrations, the bio media provide huge amounts of surface area to host bacteria, the drip plate distributes water evenly over the bio media, after that water collects in the sump, and a return pump returns the water into the tank. You can put chemical media in the sump to handle chemical filtration if you wish. I have DIY plans on my site DIY Page

·
~ATLANTA BRAVES~
18,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sir Nathan XXI said:
Wet drys can handle all types of filtration if setup up properly. IF you put sponge prefilters in the drip box it will provide mechanical filtrations, the bio media provide huge amounts of surface area to host bacteria, the drip plate distributes water evenly over the bio media, after that water collects in the sump, and a return pump returns the water into the tank. You can put chemical media in the sump to handle chemical filtration if you wish. I have DIY plans on my site DIY Page
Kool thatnk Nate! your knowledge has helped me out again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.