Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thereare lots of types... but which do you find is most effective?

When i kept fish a few years back i had some really big dirty goldfish, the filter i used was the foam mechanical variety, which would always breakdown when the pumps got too bunged with algae, but seemed to filter ok. I then moved over to the under floor type, which had no filter, but worked on a bacteria basis, constantly flowing water through the gravel and underneath, then back up to the top again via a tube. Again, it didnt really get that effective and anyfood soon got sucked under the gravel created a slurry. Despite regular water transfers it always got really murkey.

For the piranhas then, whats the easiest to maintain, and which would need less constant attendance? Not that i'll be able to leave them alone of course!

looking more for opinions than naything, personal experiences....

· ~ATLANTA BRAVES~
15,116 Posts
Well for both of my P tanks I find that both hob (hang on back) filters and a wet/dry filter work the best. ugf (under ground filters) dont seem to work very well for Ps because of the amount of debri they can be created when eating large pieces of food.

· Registered
1,072 Posts
Dragonrider said:
Undergravel, while not as effective still will help some. Better in tank then sitting somewhere in your house. It just shouldn't be the main or only source.
[snapback]863587[/snapback]​
Do you lot not get nipped when trying to change the internal filters?

IVe been looking today and i like the FLuval external filters...they look like they could do the job

What about the sand filters?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.