Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Serras n Snakes
3,411 Posts
Vampor said:
would a eheim 2017 and some kid of power head be enought for a 120 gallon?
[snapback]849343[/snapback]​
Sorry to answer your question with questions but ... what are you planning on putting in this tank? Is that a Eheim 2217 that your talking about?

· Registered
18,153 Posts
It might be enough, but it doesn't give you a lot of leeway: I think it's rated for a tank of about 120g (a 2217 is rated for tanks up to 150g), so if you have messy fish, or lots of fish, I'd consider adding another canister or large internal filter - it'll cost you extra, but it makes your tank more stable, and less vulnerable to filter- and cycle-related accidents.

10x the tank content per hour isn't necessary (especially not with Eheims, as they provide a much more efficient biofiltration than most other canisters with the same flow rate), but it is not a bad thing either.

· Registered
18,153 Posts
Vampor said:
ill been thinking on adding maybe a aqua clear 802. the fishes i will keep in the tank is discus and dont they prefere less circulation?
[snapback]850953[/snapback]​
As far as I know, they don't like lots of circulation indeed - on the other hand, they require absolutely pristine water to do well, which is a bit risky when you only have one filter, one that is just powerful enough to cope with a tank the size of yours.

An AC802 is mainly a powerhead, but comes with a seperate prefilter water polishing unit that can be attached. It doesn't really add to the tank's biofiltration, and has to be cleaned quite often to maintain a good flow rate.
So I'd rather look for something that backs up/adds to the 2017's biofiltration, so you're not dependant on the whims of just one filter: I'd consider a Fluval 4 internal filter (~250 gph), or a smaller additional canister (like an Eheim Claasic 2213 or small Ecco/Professional).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.