Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important are chemical filter in P's tank? If they are imporatant, which is more important, carbon or zeolite, or should I put the two together?

Am I right to say:

Carbon - to get rid of harmful chemical

Zeolite - to get rid of ammonia and clear up the water

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Carbon is more important. You should not even need zeolite.
Yeah for the most part you are right. But a healthy tank gets rid of ammonia by bilodgical filtration.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great.... cuzz, I think zeolite turns ammonia into sodium... and I am afraid, too much of sodium might be is harmful.

BTW, does sodium, or salt that some people add to their aquarium (to protect their fish from harmful bacteria) turns the water slightly yellowish, a litlle like seawater. The reason I ask is because, mine does..... the water turns yellowish although its clear.....

·
5,310 Posts
Is your tank new? It could be from cycling. When i add salt it never turn my tank yellow. Or is it getting sunlight? Could be an alge bloom.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, it could well be algae caused by sunlight since I place my tank outdoor in my backyard.

How harmful is algae growth?

How to solve the problem?

·
5,310 Posts
You could use a product called alge destroyer. Alge does not hurt your fish. Actually it eats nitrates. So it actually will help keep toxins down.

·
Hello Everybody!
2,049 Posts
The safest way to get rid of greenwater is to get rid of the source... high nutrients (nitrates, phosphates) and excessive light. If it's outside, at least make sure that it is away from direct sunlight. In a small enclosed system, direct sunlight can heat up your tank and kill your fish. At least, make sure that it's in the shade. The next step is to do frequent water changes on the tank to dilute the nitrates/phosphates and also to clear up the tank a bit. For a long term solution, I suggest you purchase a UV sterilizer that is rated for your size tank and pump. It basically acts as a clarifier and will kill all free floating algae. If the flow rate is slow enough and the UV wattage is high enough, it will also aid in the prevention of disease.

Greenwater can be dangerous because it is an algae. Therefore, at night it will consume dissolved oxygen, and during hot weather, oxygen depletion can be a problem. Besides that, why keep fish if you can't see them?

Finally, I would not mess around with any chemicals that kill off algae. From what I've heard, some don't work and some will kill your fish. I've never used it, but I know that if you have a severe problem with algae and you use an algaecide, the quick and heavy die-off of algae WILL contribute to a very high bioload. This WILL reck havoc on your water parameters.

·
"Nitro"
5,386 Posts
carbon is good for removing colors,medications an odors from the water, other than that you don't need it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have covered the three sides of the aquarium with black sheets...... and I think it takes care of the algae problem....... It also makes the Ps less skittish.....

BTW....... since I already bought the zeolite filter media, should I might as well use it together with my carbon media? Or its better not to mess with that stuff?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts