Piranhas Forum banner

Filter Media

393 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Azeral 
#1 ·
I am just about to start up a new tank and was wondering if gravel from a cycled tank would be good to put in the media containers on an emperor 400?

#3 ·
Powder said:
do it it already has bacteria in it i put some new gravel in mine to weigh it down I also used foam hair curlers in the media baskets which has been working great
so its a great way to start a new tank cuts cycling time down
have fun
peace
[snapback]827131[/snapback]​
Can I use gravel from the other tank as permenant media? Or should I remove it at some point?

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Powder said:
no u can leave it in the baskets if u take it out u will lose the bacteria that has grown so leave it in there and use as much of your old gravel as you can for substrate in your new tank
[snapback]827298[/snapback]​
Ok, i'm gonna add about 20 guppies in there tommorow to help it out. Also I'll put my cycled gravel in the media baskets, might add something else in there too.

#7 ·
Powder said:
20 maybe too much i would try 10 but it depends on tank size if its 55 or smaller 10....75 or bigger 20 will be ok
[snapback]827422[/snapback]​
Its a 75 gallon tank. I put 3 tiger barbs, 5 black mollies, and 2 guppies in there. Also I added gravel from my old aquarium into one of the media containers and for the other container I think I'll just look around the house to see what kinda've crap my gf has that will work good in there
. I also took a small statue outta the old tank and added it in to help out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.