Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
u may rip my head off when asking this.. but here i go anywho

i have 3 tanks a 5 a ten and a 20

now i do work for my lfs. and when i worked yesterday she gave me a free fish at 15 dollar cdn value

so i picked out a tetra..
riiight

got it home did some research oh loook a piranha

he is a juvi maybe a month old.

i had a 5gal established with one feeder fish in it jsu to get it to cycle
this tank was allready done up
so the little fellow i soin there now

i know they need shoals.
so i am gonna get 3 more at end of the week

my question is since there that tiny. how long can they stay in ther?

i hope to have a 40g minimum by the end of next month
and i doubt they will grow a whole heck of a lot before then?

i have a 10g community. i can st switch them tanks.. thats a possibility isnt it?
and gie hte p's the 10

i also have a 20g cichlid comunity. has 3 cichs in it. ranging from 4 inch to 2 inch
i dont even wana go there as cause everything i am reading says p will hurt cichs. or vize versa

anywho. i am doing about 25-50% water changes daily in the 5g
and they are only an inch big.. if that.. they stil have no re don them at all
but should i move them to the 10g right now? or can i wait a bit. so i can make sure they are doing ok before moving
since they came in from the lfs yesterday i dont wana strees them too much
he is skiddish enough as is

i couldnt pass it up. i was either being payed a P or some feeder fish..

get mad at me if u think its too small i understand
but its got plenty of filter. and he seems to be doing fine in there. i do lotsa water changes. all the water that i put in is allready distilled

ok so any comments?
i think im done blabbing

thanks
Blue

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
yes get more piranhas - you might get away with 5 in a 55 USA gallon tank if your lucky.

I am amazed you work for an LFS and could not ID a piranha from a tetra, but then again thinking of some LFS's I've been in I can believe it.

RBPs grow up to about 6" in the first year and then will grow at 1-2" per year from then on, they do need to be in groups of at least 3.

we have a great tutorials section here at PFury so take a look at the feeding one and a few others - they will really help you.

what cichlids do you have? you may be able to put the piranhas with them in the short term and a 20 gallon is way better than a 5 - no piranha should ever be in a 5 gallon

Oh, and daily water changes is too much
and skittish = normal

I think I coverd all of your questions, but please feel free to ask more here or PM me

Good luck

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
i know they need shoals.
They do NOT need to be in shoals so, don't worry about getting more until you have at least a 40g tank.

my question is since there that tiny. how long can they stay in ther?
2-3 weeks tops. Get a bigger tank soon!

i hope to have a 40g minimum by the end of next month
and i doubt they will grow a whole heck of a lot before then?
they grow pretty quick within the first 6 months.

. i am doing about 25-50% water changes daily in the 5g
Not daily. Weekly. Might want to cut that to %10 for a 5g.

ok so any comments?
Lots and lots of research right here and books! :smile:

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Serrapygo said:
i know they need shoals.
They do NOT need to be in shoals so, don't worry about getting more until you have at least a 40g tank.
they dont have to be in groups, as they wont die on their own, but they will be much happier and less stressed

·
Bean Power!
8,911 Posts
Innes said:
Serrapygo said:
i know they need shoals.
they dont have to be in groups, as they wont die on their own, but they will be much happier and less stressed
Well...... I'm not sure how much piranhas acually enjoy the company of each other. It seems to us they like it but, I bet if you could ask one they would say otherwise.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Serrapygo said:
Innes said:
Serrapygo said:
i know they need shoals.
Well...... I'm not sure how much piranhas acually enjoy the company of each other. It seems to us they like it but, I bet if you could ask one they would say otherwise.
you may have a point there

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol thanks

when i get him 2 friends of the same size later this month they will be put in the 10g. which should do them good for a month or so.

if worse comes to worse. i can put them in one of my 60 gallon water stilers

that i use to let water sit so im not using straight tap water

ad then add the heaer and rocks into the conatiners.

if i am totally desperate thats wut ill do. but then id only be able to see them form the top,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts