Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that reds well piranha in general are not killing machines but i feel like my reds are so boring they just hide as soon as i go near the tank its ridiculous im thinking of getting rid of em and getting another rhom. i love em but they are so afraid of everything and they arent really any better since the day i got them which was 6 months ago.

·
Registered
775 Posts
take out some hiding spaces and leave the lights on. Let them get used to you. Same thing you told me to do, it helped some. I want less skittish piranhas too man. One day... one day..

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know platinum one day ha ha. i suppose they are not to bad they eat in front of me but its not enough maybe i just expect to much from them

·
Registered
114 Posts
My redbellies did the same thing at first, and are now still quite skittish but have come around alot and dont mind me lookin at them but do hide in front of multiple people. The best thing I ever did was add a huge fake bamboo plant floating at the top to shade some and they almost instantly seemed secure and started swimming around alot more.
on the other hand the most fun fish would have been my jack dempsey who ate from my hand and destroyed anything I dropped in the aquarium. He was recently lost to HITH but I have a new one that will hopefully come around just as well once he's of size to take feeders and larger krill.
Good luck with those red bellies, mine took a month or better to come around but your 6 months seems like a long time. Maybe its just cuz my computer is next to the tank and im constantly by their side i dunno..
anywho best of luck no matter what you do

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
dim the lights and take away all decor apart from gravel and place the tank in a high traffic area. they are skittish when young but when the hit about 6-7" they start to calm down.

·
Registered
649 Posts
my rbp's are in room with lots of activity.they are only skiddish now when u surprise them or move extremly quickly. Some people saiy this isn't goos but it has worked for me great and they seem to come to me when i sit and watch them. I think that their so used to seeing me their, and im the sole person to come and feed them they associate me with food. My rbp's are almost 2 years old and they have been this way since the begining of the second year. So i would put them in your living room or a high traffic area of your home and try that. I think that they get used to all the people and then they just dont care because the dont think u'll harm them. my dog loves to just sit and watch my fish. he doesn;t even try to attack the tank, he just lays there and watches the fish swim. its hallarious i think he likes them asmuch as i do.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool dog. i have the tank in my frontroom so its got alot of traffic passing the tank. im sure they will come round i just cant get rid of them i have wanted to but then i go look at the tank and i think give them another month this has happened 4 times now

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Thats Piranhas for you my friend. They are skittish by nature and I'm sorry to say this but it will never get better.

What you need my friend is cichlids(oscars,jack dempsey, etc). They will not be as skittish as Piranhas.

Hater

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Thats Piranhas for you my friend. They are skittish by nature and I'm sorry to say this but it will never get better.

What you need my friend is cichlids(oscars,jack dempsey, etc). They will not be as skittish as Piranhas.

Hater
chill out, the fish will get less skittish over the years depending on the area its in...everytime i walk in/out of my recroom i walk by the fish...they dont even flinch when i walk by now, its been about a month...so not true...get a couple caribe man..you wouldnt be disapointed

·
Registered
441 Posts
i know that reds well piranha in general are not killing machines but i feel like my reds are so boring they just hide as soon as i go near the tank its ridiculous im thinking of getting rid of em and getting another rhom. i love em but they are so afraid of everything and they arent really any better since the day i got them which was 6 months ago.
Dont listen to these guys pick up a 17'' Rhom that will do the trick

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
chill out, the fish will get less skittish over the years depending on the area its in...everytime i walk in/out of my recroom i walk by the fish...they dont even flinch when i walk by now, its been about a month...so not true...get a couple caribe man..you wouldnt be disapointed
Iceman I have had Piranhas for years and can speak from experience. Piranhas are skittish fishes and no matter what he does that will never change. They will get a little less skittish with time of course but they will always be skittish.

If he is looking for a fish that is not skittish, he needs to start looking into cichlids.

Hater

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You need to spend more time with your face in front of the tank. Ever notice how when you go to the fish store the fish seem almost unfazed by you, thats because there are immune to people because they are around them 24/7. Granted you can't be around 24/7, but crack open a pop or whatnot and spend 15 minutes or more just examining your fish with your face infront of the tank, you'll be suprised what a difference that will make. I broke mine by doing that and adding 3 caribe to the shoal, and I don't care what any expert says MY caribe are far less skittish then my reds and that helped the reds alot.

Kyle

·
WWTCD?
9,785 Posts
Keeping in mind this is the fish that's related to tetras... it's no big surprise, really. Scatter, hide and scavenge is basically what they're all about. Dim lights and a high traffic area will help, but some will just always be skittish.

If it's brutality you're after then you have the wrong fish.

·
Banned
14,902 Posts
take out some hiding spaces and leave the lights on. Let them get used to you. Same thing you told me to do, it helped some. I want less skittish piranhas too man. One day... one day..
with skiddish fish i do just the opposite. dim the lights first off. the more places to hide the more they will be comforted with a place to retreat and actually come out. spending time around the tank will help them become used to movement around the tank as nojn threatening. create a natural atmosphere, never strip a hiding place away from a fish!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts