Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed that my piranhas are not eating their food right away...i will put some beefheart in there and they will eat it a couple hours later...should i keep it in there until they finish or should i take it out after a bit...i am afraid that keeping old food in the tank isn't good....by the way, i love the site...it's very helpful

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
Some will say to take it out in 20 minutes if it is not eaten. I leave it in over night and take it out the next day(rarely is there any left). I have never had any water problems. I do this because I want to make sure all my pygos have a chance to eat and not just the more dominant ones.

·
Go Bucks!
3,164 Posts
I will leave food in for a few hours. Mine are the same way, they will let it sit and eat it later. I also feed 2 times a day so they are not starving. I have also not had any problems yet with my water.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
they may not eat in front of you due to the fact that they are shy... this will change with time and when they are acustomed to your presence. As far as taking the foods out now it is recomended to take whatever they do not eat out within an hour. However you should be fine if you leave for longer than that just make sure its not left there and you do address the issue :cool:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
also water conditions in a smaller tank will change much quicker than in a larger tank. I try to always defrost the beefheart chunks before I drop em in the tank.

Try feeding with the lights off and not being to close to the tanks. they need time to get familiar with people. Hopefully soon they wont be as skittish.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
it is fine to leave it in your tank untill they take an interest, just make sure you do regular water changes to reduce tank pollution.

oh, and welcome to the site

·
Piranha Expert
4,309 Posts
my p's do the same... they wont go for the food rate away. but when i feed them feeders and fellet "o" soul. i will stand rate infront of the tank and drop them in and they will eat it rate infront of my face. i hand fed them a very large peice of fillet once... it scared the $hit out of me.

·
Registered
394 Posts
marco, thats pretty ballsy man! Mine usualy wont kill in front of me, but i like to trick them and watch from far away... they eat beefheart right away.

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Mine used to be very shy eaters; only if I was far away, they would ever touch the food.
Nowadays it's much better: my reds even show off their hatred towards feeders in front of my friends

But it took quite some time before they were used to people watching them....
About leaving food in the tank: I usually feed them shrimps, which I drop in the tank one by one. When they stop eating them straight away, I randomly throw in a couple more, and that's that. I noticed that when you throw in food at random places, my p's will start looking for it actively (since they know it's somewhere around). It;'s a great way to make them more active and less shy/skittish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts