Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, there has been a family of rats outside under my tree by the fence. And by family of rats, I means loads and loads...but they only come out at night. Whenever I go outside to the tree, I can hear and see (using a flashlight of course) lots of them running on the branches and jumping to the next tree over the fence.

I want to trap them and feed them to my p's as a treat, but is it really safe? I know they might carry diseases, but will it affect my p's as much, or rather their water? any help would be appreciated!! Thanks...

· Registered
886 Posts
or you could just offer them a steak laced with anthrax!

Not a good idea, rats are full of vile diseases

G

·
hughie said:
Not a good idea, rats are full of vile diseases
[snapback]873642[/snapback]​
Right, including fleas and ticks that will give you diseases such as bubonic plague. Best bet is to leave those mean bastards outside where they belong.

· Registered
121 Posts
Diseases will nto jump from a mammal to a fish. The species barrier is somethign rarely crossed and when it does entire populations are decimated......Rats are full of disease but they will be fine to feed. The only question is any chemicals the rats may have consumed and buitl up in their liver or body fat that may kill your P's....

adding this the LDL 50 lethal dose of 50% in rats and fish are drastically different from different chemicals and pesticides, unless you live in the absolute wilderness i would not feed them due to the possibility of contaminating your fish with herbicides that do not affect mammals as much.

3,843 Posts
Wild rats are some mean ass bastards. Just buy some pinkies at your LSF if you must do this.

· I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
14,634 Posts
jiaguy said:
Diseases will nto jump from a mammal to a fish. The species barrier is somethign rarely crossed and when it does entire populations are decimated......Rats are full of disease but they will be fine to feed. The only question is any chemicals the rats may have consumed and buitl up in their liver or body fat that may kill your P's....

adding this the LDL 50 lethal dose of 50% in rats and fish are drastically different from different chemicals and pesticides, unless you live in the absolute wilderness i would not feed them due to the possibility of contaminating your fish with herbicides that do not affect mammals as much.

[snapback]899317[/snapback]​
I agree. Its been noted that transfer of disease and bacteria from mamals to marine animals are varied due to their barriers. The only concerns I would also agree on is if the rats are known to have been poisoned. Chemical or poison would take effect in water mixture and def make an impact in health or life on your Ps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.