Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got 3 4 1/2" rb's two days ago. yesterday i put in 15 feeders and thet have not gone after any. temp 78 f. are thet still stressed from the move. is the water warm enough. any responses appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yeah it's a little soon for them to start eating. Mine took about 2-3 days before they started to eat. Also becareful with using feeder fish if you don't breed your own. You can give your p's some nasty dieases. If you really want to feed them feeder fish you should keep them in a seperate tank and treat them just to be safe. I feed my p's blood worms and they love them.How big is your tank and what is the p.h. also. hopes this help and welcome to the board!!!!!! The people are real nice here too. they will be along shortly to help you too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mike316 said:
yeah it's a little soon for them to start eating. Mine took about 2-3 days before they started to eat. Also becareful with using feeder fish if you don't breed your own. You can give your p's some nasty dieases. If you really want to feed them feeder fish you should keep them in a seperate tank and treat them just to be safe. I feed my p's blood worms and they love them.How big is your tank and what is the p.h. also. hopes this help and welcome to the board!!!!!! The people are real nice here too. they will be along shortly to help you too.
[snapback]866555[/snapback]​
55 gallon. ph 6.8
thanks for the response.
anything else i could feed them dead or alive. i would like to offer them a variety.

·
DOC#003162
15,011 Posts
i like to use shrimp and catfish cause its easy to get right down at the market.

you can use a varity of pellets too, i like the hikari brand of pellets if yours will take them

if not you could stuff it into the meat you are giving them.

you could bring your temp up alittle also, around 80*F is pretty nice

·
Registered
43 Posts
lets see... there's beef heart, shrimp, sardines did you read the post about how to prepare sardines it's at the bottom of this page. I really would get the feeder fish out of the tank the can cause you a lot of problems. I hve yet to try the sardine thing yet but I think it would be cool to see them eat one!!! You also may want to try some stress coat medicine it helps them relax and prevents them from getting sick being in a new home and all. I think you p.h. is alright mines about the same and temp. is around 80.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,504 Posts
It usually takes few hrs, days, weeks, or even months for any new fish to adapt to their new environment. Once they're established with their new place, the fury and their true characteristics will follow soon after.

As with feeders, I recommend feeding them at least once in a blue moon to keep their natural instincts and FURY within. It shouldn't be a main dietery suppliment since they do carry all sorts of disease and known to cause difficiency. Stick with raw meats such as beefheart, chicken, smelt, prawns, shrimp, etc. Remember to remove fats or skins, and never cooked or seasoned.

Moved to Feeding and Nutrition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts