Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my shoal of 11 rbp's a week and feeding them tiny krill, but they don't seem to want to swim to the surface to eat them, any tips to ensure my fish eat regularly? btw, I have only noticed about half of them eating the krill and they are already growing so i can tell whose feeding already!

-Lerch

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've had my shoal of 11 rbp's a week and feeding them tiny krill, but they don't seem to want to swim to the surface to eat them, any tips to ensure my fish eat regularly? btw, I have only noticed about half of them eating the krill and they are already growing so i can tell whose feeding already!

-Lerch
try bloodworm cubes worked for me. i started with bloodworms and beef heart. now it is raw shrimp, squid, catfish chunks,talapi. they eat anything now :laugh:

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
It's common for them to be leary of the surface.
There are a lot of dangers at the surface of the water in their natural habitat.

Try getting them hungry and then toss in a few sinking things to get them started, and then throw in a couple things on the surface and see if they take them.

With time, they will learn to eat from the surface.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
exactly...thats why if you ever get a custom tank made some people tend to get the height lower because p's dont really care for the top

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
start with bloodworm that sinks then put in some krill and work your way up

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
I'm always making references to the first piranhas I've ever had... a 150 gallon with (6) 8" reds.
It was the most aggressive group of pygos I've ever seen.

Since I didn't know any better, I fed them nothing but raw beef...
I would dangle a "Hand sized" piece on the surface of the water and the surface would "Boil" with their frenzy, ripping pieces from the steak out of my hand.
(Yeah, I had to be careful- and looking back... I think I was crazy...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
have you tried feeding them raw shrimp? mine go nuts for it.

you could try flake food as well. ive had mine since tuesday and they will eat anything. shrimp, freeze dried krill, flake food, cichlid pellets

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i tried chunks of sinking krill but they wont touch it, and only half go to the surface to feed, ill keep tryin and keep up with water changes cause there is a lot of uneaten food. im worried the timid ones will starve! ( or get eaten)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts