Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:smile: Hi. I'm a fairly new member here. I am building a 100gal. aquarium within the next week and I'm looking to put a few spilo's in it. But first, I have a question about feeding! I have succesfully bred swordtail and mollie livebearer fish before. If I were to breed them in my 33 gal. would they be suitable feeders for the spilo's? I'm not to sure if I want to feed goldfish if there is something more 'tropical' shall I say, to be fed. I'm also concerned that the goldfish might be too tough a meal to catch for juvenile spilo's, compared to the mollies. I of course would feed them a variety (guppies, mollies, swordtails, platies, and brine shrimp). Is there anything else that I should be adding to this list? Thank-you,
Baby_dragon

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
That sounds good to me ... way to go with sticking with your own bred feeders
... also try adding Cons to the menu they are easy to breed

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Any livebearer will do fine!

·
Registered
22,692 Posts
Sounds like you got a part of their diet well covered

But make sure not to give your p's a feeder-only diet: it's the same as with humans, variety is the spice of life. So I'd give them shrimps, beef heart, smelt, fish fillets, insects, maybe flakes, pellets or sticks if they accept it, etc.
The more diverse their diet, the healthier and faster-growing your fish will be!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mr. Hannibal said:
Any livebearer will do fine!
I dunno about the Pike livebaerer ... they can get 7 inches and are an ambush pred

all others would do fine... yes these fish are not nearly as common as the others, thats probally why you might not of heard of them, I only discovered them by reading Books

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys! But now I can't get any piranhas to be shipped to Canada, there are only redbellies here (not that there is anything wrong with redbellies) I was just very interested in the spilos!!

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
baby_dragon said:
thanks for the info guys! But now I can't get any piranhas to be shipped to Canada, there are only redbellies here (not that there is anything wrong with redbellies) I was just very interested in the spilos!!
percistance is the key!
Canada is not to far from the USA - go yourself!
Here in the UK it is very hard to get non-red belly piranhas - but it is still possible if you try hard enough.
look harder!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts