Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the post where you were all being called sick.
well I wouldn't go that far, but it is wrong to put live food in, especially when it is a large fish or a mammel.
I am a piranha owner, personally I don't feed mind live goldfish being used, I don't have too much of a problem with that - except the cost.
but mice, or chicks? - now that is wrong!, even f there were no piranhas, dropping a mouse or a chick into a tank of water is bad enough.
I know you are all going to slate me......and yes I am a vegetarian, but it needs to be said.
just because the majority of people agree, it doesn't make it right!

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I can agree that captivity is different than the wild but do you think piranha's just eat wild berries and oats while swimming down the amazon? The answer is NO. You run many risks in feeding your piranha live food (diseases, etc) but at least they are doing what they have evolved millions of years to do....KILL LIVE PREY

:rockin: Xenon

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as I am aware - although I admit I might be wrong.
piranhas mainly eat berries and insects in the wild. I guess they are also scavengers as most preditors are so the odd dead cow or something like that, and by the way they can take down fish I guess they also eat the occasional fish, but mainly insects and berries.
I'm sure that not many mice or chicks jump into piranha waters in the amazon so its not even the right type of food you are adding...........but at least they suffer, eh?

P.S. I have no problem you feeding them insects - I hate insects!

·
5 TIME CHAMPS
19,142 Posts
true everybody has there own ways of doing thing.if you like to see the piranha in action theres a movie called wolf of the water. (i think thats what it called?)correct me if i'm wrong guys..in the doc it shows piranha in the wild.those suckers eat everything.snakes,rodents,cows,birds,fish,each other.so i say whats wrong with a little treat here and there?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't have a problem with feeding live things to my P's. I normall don't feed them mice or chicks but I still don't have problem with it.

My P's do eat grapes occassionally, lots of feeders, beefheart and a host of other things. Unlike myself, who eats all kinds of meat that was maybe a cow, pig or chicken which I understand was fattened up until they cut off their heads and chopped up the rest of them so I could have that big juicy steak, omlett, or ham.

Man is the biggest predator on earth. Just like P's, we kill things so we can eat. There's just no thrill in keeping P's if all I get is this occassional grape screaming while being bitten in half or the piece of beef heart I throw in. Now that is sick! I can barely stand to watch that poor piece of beef heart, helpless little thing that it is, being battered around and shredded to pieces.

I respect all P owners in what they choose to do with their fish but C'mon, why own them if you can't watch their natural tendancy to rip living things apart.

I once had a Northern Pike that in the wild lived on mice, frogs and fish. I would be depriving him if I didn't feed him what he naturally ate. That's why my P's get most of what they would eat in the wild and then some.

Am I supposed to feel bad if my dog catches a rabit and kills it? It's in his blood and to him, a natural thing to do. If P's didn't want to kills living food they wouldn't.

I wanna be a P myself some day!!!

·
Registered
27,223 Posts
I have to agree with razorlips. I also dont think the main part of their diet is berries. We can ask fishman2 cause he seems to know a lot of scientific information on it but I think they eat more flesh than berry.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Razorlips said:
why own them if you can't watch their natural tendancy to rip living things apart.
well I can see that I'm not going to convince anyone that the fact these creatures are alive is cruel.

so I'm going to answer this question instead.

I keep piranhas for a number of reasons:
*I like the fish, I keep neon tetras for the same reason.
*I wanted fish that got big.
*I wanted fish people would remember after they have seen them.
*I wanted something I had never kept before

so I bought piranhas.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like I said, I respect all P owners and what they do. Your reasons are repectable. I've had people say to me that keeping fish in a tank was cruel. Life itself is cruel. Nature is cruel. Feeding that white mouse to the P's was probably cruel in a natural way but not nearly as cruel as what most white mice go through. Most are bred to be lab animals whre they experience extreme torture, are revived somewhat, and experimented on further. Again, we as humans do these things to survive. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I have my views and others have theirs.

I can only say what appears to be good for my P's and enjoyable to me. I hope you enjoy your P's in your own way and that your P's are happy. That's what this is all about right?

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I respect your views, in fact I have never been the kind of vegetarian who trys all the time to convert people to my way of thinking.
I believe it should be personal choice, but I had to point out my views.

I also have to say that this argument here:

"Feeding that white mouse to the P's was probably cruel in a natural way but not nearly as cruel as what most white mice go through"

is one of the worst I have ever known!
Of course their are all kinds of dispicable people in the world, that does not give any kind of an excuse for cruel or bad behaviour - the fact that someone else is worse!

·
Registered
159 Posts
All I was saying is that it's natural for the P's to kill things like the mouse but to do experiments on them is not something found in nature so I still make that argument.

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you still make the argument that it is O.K to feed your piranhas with live mice because they could be worse off, they could be having experiments carried out on them?

OK then, that makes alot of sence. ???

·
Registered
159 Posts
Okay, I guess I'm just a very bad man! I'm now going to through myself into my 75 and let them have at me! Oh wait! They only eat nuts and berries right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
if you wanted a fish that gets big and no one will forget , you should have gotten a 3 foot pacu and then when you go grocery shopping what ever you buy , you can feed your fish with too.
i havent had the chance too feed my p's mice cauz there too small but they will get there mouse when there ready:D

·
The ASSMAN
20,469 Posts
I give my p's feeders occasionally but I would never give a mouse or very large fish that I think may suffer. This may sound totally hypocritical but because I own piranhas but whatever. I love my fish, and I like to watch them take down feeders, but I do not enjoy watching animals suffer.
I put in a crappy about the size of my p's last summer and I had to take him out because they would not kill him, just torture him with 6 p's nibbling on him. I fed him to my rhom...one bite and done. With me it is all about the suffering, I just dont want to see it. But if that is what turns your crank, go for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i give mine the gold fish ith the longest fins i can find and when they eat all the fins the feeders go too the oscar and pike tank.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I thank you for coming out and saying this liek a normal humanbeing in stead of just yelling at us fro mthe start
I probably wont feed any of my times that i ever get live mice and chicks but frzen mice is a different thing they are already dead adn all you ahve to do is thaw them out and throw them in i mostly feed the m samll feeders so they are usally gone in one or two quick bites.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.