Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
After reading several posts regarding the best foods to feed my P's, I noticed that there are many references to feeding the entire fish (head, tail, guts, etc.) as opposed to just feeding a cleaned or fillet version of the same.

Up until recently, I've been feeding my RBP's and Rhom a variety of squid, catfish, shrimp, beef heart, talpia, sole, goldfish, and 'almost whole' smelts.
Then I saw completely whole sardines and said to myself, they'd be great!!!

The problem is that once in the water for 15 min, my tank goes all cloudy and looks really filthy... I have a 200gl tank, so it's unusual for any food to foul up my water in such a short amount of time.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with frozen sardines and if, whatever it is making my water cloudy, could f-up my water quality.
The cloudiness is always gone by next morning and I do regular water changes.

By the way, my P's love the sardines as much as any of the other frozen foods and eat everything up 100%, including the skull, guts, and spine.

Here's a pic of the dirty little bastard!

· Truffle shuffle!!!!!!!
17,210 Posts
soak them in warm water for a hour or 2 and change the water a few times and you should be fine
thats why i changed to silversides
and theyare smaller than sardines so the will eat everything

3,843 Posts
I've feed presoaked sardines to my Oscar before, feed them to my P's afew times. I usually feed shrimp to my bigger fish, sardines are really messy if you don't soak them long enough.

· Registered
373 Posts
Does soaking the sardines help with the flaking?

I've used sardine once before and it was disastrous. Pieces everywhere...I don't think I'd do it again, unless there was a solution to the flaking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.