Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there, try to get white meats in a sore. tilapia, catfish, shrimp.
also earthworms are good too and they love them!!
well said, fish fillets, talpia, catfish, shrimp, etc....the white meat is great for them...not to sure about beef
[/quote]
im doing the white meat thing but was wondering about just plain old beef.
also, how about "the other white meat" pork chops...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I dont know about you guys but id stay alway from beef it always causes me trouble

·
LionHart
13,101 Posts
As said, don't use beef as the staple.. but as the occasional feed.

When I first started out, I had a tank with six 6" reds in it, and I fed them nothing but beef.
Man, I tell you, those buggers didn't grow much, but they sure as hell went to town on that steak!

They were the most aggressive pygos I've ever witnessed eating.
They also didn't live that long either.

Beef is bad for several reasons.
It contains antibiotics in large quantities, and this is poison to your fish.
When we cook it and eat it, we cook most of the antibiotics out.

Also, the digestive systems of piranhas aren't geared for red meat, so it's not as well digested, and it's hard on them.

By all means though... throw in a little now and then!
They get some red meat in the wild...

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Whatever fellas. Beefheart is GREAT for P's. The guy I bought my breeders off of told me to use it. It is a hella good growth food. You are just not supposed to feed hamburger and chunks of steak or pork chop. Beefheart is totaly differant.

·
Registered
139 Posts
you can get beef heart at your local grocery store....I use it also I and I have never had a problem....Only thing is so far thats the only thing my rhom will eat is beef heart. Smelt: Nope, White Fish Fillets: Nope Beef Heart: Hell yeah!.....I'm trying to get him to have a healthy diet he's just been stubborn so far

·
Allergic to stupid sh*t!!!
4,364 Posts
Also comes in little frozen cubes from LFS in the freezer.

·
Registered
664 Posts
ya the ones in the lil frozen cubes are good and easy!, when i first got my P's in the beging of december 06, i couldnt feed them it because of there size, i went to throwing one cube for 9 p's and it being eneough, now im at 5 cubes and its just a snack!beef heart is part of there weekly deit along with fish and shrimp and worms, but out of all the food they eat beef heart is there favorite!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I buy whole beef heart from my local butcher...I think I pay around $3 for a whole heart then cut it myself and freeze it.Some grocery stores carry it also..As for the antibiotics thing,,,if you have a local butcher chances are they have some farmers that raise all organic beef no hormones or any of that other bs....When possible this is what I do but it isn't always available.I feed a varied diet and sub in beef heart about twice a month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts