Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nitrates are 80 to 160 ppm.
I've done so many water changes already and still not much of a change. I also vacuum the gravel. It seems like the crap that gets sucked up is never ending. I've tested my tap water and it has no nitrates by the way.
I'm thinking of changing the color of my gravel. When I do that, I'm gonna do some serious vacuuming and leave the bottom bare for a couple of days and see how the nitrates are. I'll then add the new gravel. Hopefully that should lower my nitrates alot.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
80 to 160 isnt bad, mines at 200 constantly

i cant lower it either by doing more water changes either, its just the way its gonna be

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HawgHunter11 said:
It seems like the crap that gets sucked up is never ending.
That might be why you have such high nitrates tho.

How often and what percentage of the water do you change?
I've done 20-25% water change 4 days in a row and now once every week.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
200ppm? how do your piranhas act? or other fish?

i had ine at 200 and i noticed my P;s were so inactive it wasn't funny. you gotta do some water chanegs or something or find the cause of high nitrates and bring them down, that isn't cool.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i forgot to add, you might also want to try adding live plants, they help reduce high nitrates.

do you already have live plants?

also what is the level of ppm comign out of your tap water, or whatever water your using to fill up your tanks?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok here is the deal, if you have really high nitrates and your tap has none you are not changong enough water!

Make sure you change your filterbags and wash them off periodically because there could be some thing rotting in your tank that is causing the high levels!

Check for rotting material
Do a good vaccum of bottom, down to the glass.
Change about 75% of your water at once!
Make sure the temp. and Ph is close to your tanks!

When you change the big volume of water like that you nitrates should drop dramatically!
Then change more water the next day like 50% then
you should have your nitates down to below 20ppm or lower.

Then if you don't have a big bioload of fish in your tank if you change like 30-35% of your water every week it should always stay at or below 40ppm!

You have to change alot in the begining to get into a schedule!
I know all about this I went through the same problem in my tank!!
Hope this helps!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts