Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Nurses Do It Better
10,000 Posts
Or seeding your fiter with established media.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Whatever you do completely IGNORE anything that says fishless cycle!! That process takes up to 6 weeks!! I have gotten tanks to cycle in as little as 5 days, but ONLY after taking several steps to ensure the bio load in the tank is sufficient by using Bio Spira.

For best results with Bio use it in combination with the below to make sure you have a good cycle.

Media from an already cycled tank (rocks, substrate, plants bio media) Bio media is by far the best because it already has colonized bacteria.

Bio wheel from a cycled tank

Sponge from a cycled tank

Fish that you are not concearned with loosing like goldfish, (be careful to get them from a good source to avoid bringing in ich and other problems they can carry)

DO NOT treat the water with chemicals as it will reduce the amount of bacteria and stop you tank cycle

DO NOT change the water as your throwing out bacteria they may be in the water.

The more previously cycled media you add to your tank cycle the faster the cycle will be!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fishless and amonia will take 6 weeks, if you read my post and add the items I mentioned it will cycle in about a week. I've actually gotten a tank to cycle in 5 days so what do you think?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
as he said the quickes way would be to have some established filters and media already. i always keep an extra filter on my big tank that way when i want to set a new fishtank up i have a cycled filter then i generally fill most of the tank up with water out of my 125 use the extra filter off my 125 and its usually like an instant cycle sometimes i get a small cycle if i add a lot of fish but very little spikes if any

·
Registered
432 Posts
as he said the quickes way would be to have some established filters and media already. i always keep an extra filter on my big tank that way when i want to set a new fishtank up i have a cycled filter then i generally fill most of the tank up with water out of my 125 use the extra filter off my 125 and its usually like an instant cycle sometimes i get a small cycle if i add a lot of fish but very little spikes if any
Yep! I also keep a sponge filter in the back behind my plants in all of my big tanks. I have often given these out to buddies who need help cycling their tank and they are amazed at how fast a cycle happens!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts