Piranhas Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yesteday being monday, my fish are eating about half a 50pc shrimp ring...so about 12 a day so far...how soon would i notice difference in possibly growth, color, and maybe energy or movement or something....thanks guys

·
LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
8,959 Posts
you can not exspect a fast grow just by feeding them shrimp for daily meal..As I state many time, growing depending on matter facter such as

- fish must eat well and active
- the bigger tank the better, you want to fish to be able to swim around not sitting at the same spot
- do lots of water chang 25%-40% weekly
- temp 78-82f, good ph, good water parameter
- Feed your fish variety different food. have them get use to different food so they not picky it would help them eat anything you put in your tank.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
If the shrimp are pink, they're cooked.
Raw shrimp are grey.
ok so then the shrimp are cooked.....my temp in my tank right now is at 82 right now, every week i do a 50% water change while i do my gravel vac...my fish seem very active now that they've been eating the shrimp...they use the power head....theres only 6 pygo's in a 120 lay-out so LOTS of room for these guys....so hopefully im on the right track...ill try and mix they're diet up

·
Caribe > Any Other Piranha
6,351 Posts
cooked shrimp have very little nutritional value compared to raw shrimp, the process of cooking "burns" off much of the nutrients...

ur basically feeding them practically nothing.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
cooked shrimp have very little nutritional value compared to raw shrimp, the process of cooking "burns" off much of the nutrients...

ur basically feeding them practically nothing.
really now.....thats even better to know...thanks bud....next time ill grab some un-cooked shrimp...does it help with growth too that my heats jacked up?? to 82??....theres a small bit of aggression in my tank but nothing really to get me to turn it down....and i got a 6 1/4" red, a 5 1/2" red...a 6" caribe, and 3 5 1/2" caribes.......since they're all about that size is they're growth going to slow down now.....or how much will they grow from now on?? thanks a bunch

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
See if they will eat pellets. I mix in H. Gold Pellets in their diet and that has really helped develop the "red" on their bellies. The Gold Pellets have the highest mix of carotein in them which is what produces the coloration.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
See if they will eat pellets. I mix in H. Gold Pellets in their diet and that has really helped develop the "red" on their bellies. The Gold Pellets have the highest mix of carotein in them which is what produces the coloration.
hmmmm, i dont know if they'd eat pellets from the top...could give it a shot tho...

Edit:.....doesnt they're red go away when they're adults anyways?

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Give it a try. I did not think that mine would eat from the top either, but they did. IMO a try is worth the benefit.

Yes, when reds grow very large, or are full grown their red tends to blend away.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Give it a try. I did not think that mine would eat from the top either, but they did. IMO a try is worth the benefit.

Yes, when reds grow very large, or are full grown their red tends to blend away.
so since my caribe/reds are about 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 how much quicker will they grow...or is this slow down time?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I feed them my reds flakes occasionally and the jump for joy! Literally.
I just sit there in front of the tank and see them swim up to the top and grab them flakes.

*I've finally gotten them used to the 10,000K lighting after 2months of using the paper towel method.

They look sooo amazing under that bright light.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just sit there in front of the tank and see them swim up to the top and grab them flakes.:nod:

*I've finally gotten them used to the 10,000K lighting after 2months of using the paper towel method.

i also added tinfoil to the bottom of mine and cut slits so only a certain amount of light would show because they were skittish....im considering rigging something else up that wont cause them to be skittish...but to show some nice light

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I just sit there in front of the tank and see them swim up to the top and grab them flakes.:nod:

i also added tinfoil to the bottom of mine and cut slits so only a certain amount of light would show because they were skittish....im considering rigging something else up that wont cause them to be skittish...but to show some nice light
[/quote]
By far I recommend this method. The easiest to use. And the light is more constant than the tin-foil technique since you it looks like you are "turning up" the light gradually over time.
Also, it makes your light look natural instead of the having dotted lighting all over your tank.
Just add 2 layers of paper towel for a week or two then remove one layer. Get them used to having only one layer for another week or two and remove it.
Voila! They don't care/notice the drastic change in light anymore!
Mine now don't even scatter when I turn the lights on full blast 10,000K in the morning!

Wood Art Tints and shades Circle Metal

Office equipment Grey Electronic instrument Audio equipment Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......you got glass tops for your tank....i got nothing...i dont got any tops for my tank, just my light is sitting across the top, so thats why id did the tinfoil....ill try removing one light strip tonight, take the foil off and see how it goes

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......you got glass tops for your tank....i got nothing...i dont got any tops for my tank, just my light is sitting across the top, so thats why id did the tinfoil....ill try removing one light strip tonight, take the foil off and see how it goes
You can cut the paper towel down to size and put in INTO the INSIDE of the light compartment against the clear plastic part of the light fixture.

Here's a pic I took right now without Flash. 10,000K kicks @ss!

Vertebrate Light Rectangle Pet supply Aquatic plant

Attachments

·
LionHart
13,099 Posts
I never dreamed in a million years that my pygos would ever touch pellets, especially floaters.
So, one day I got some "Hikari sinking carnivore pellets."
I got them all frenzied out with a regular krill feeding, and then threw in some sinking pellets with the krill.

They didn't know quite what to do with the pellets at first, but with their darting around swallowing krill, they accidently swallowed some pellets too.
They noticed that they were pretty good!

So they got into pellets, and then I got them to just go for pellets at certain feedings.
They got to really liking them, so then they would 'Attack' them as soon as they hit the water, and BAM!
Next thing you know, they're eating floating pellets.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.