ohhh k heres my new dilema lol

i got threw juvi's all maybe a month or 2 old now

but looking at them
i am noticing there eyes
two have real large eyes and one has smaller eyes

i am still at odds whether these are all RBP's

two of them have red bottom fins one is still clear with now color

i can tellb y looking at them. they are all the same family

but keeping them from this age up.. if one happens to not be a RBP will the others kill it off. or should they be safe?
i jsut would rather not loose any of my baby's.. if they arnt all reds. im fine with that. i just wanna know if they are ok.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Indeed , the eay to distinguish pacus from piranhas is through the eyes and jaws and tail!

Baby pacus have larger eyes when compared tothe head size , a pretty smaler and less powerful under jaw and a bigger tail than piranhas , about the color I´m not sure but maybe pacus gain them earlier!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Indeed , the eay to distinguish pacus from piranhas is through the eyes and jaws and tail!

Baby pacus have larger eyes when compared tothe head size , a pretty smaler and less powerful under jaw and a bigger tail than piranhas , about the color I´m not sure but maybe pacus gain them earlier!!

And there isn´t problem , as long as they are well fed any fish will be armed by the others being piranha or pacu!!
This mimicry is a survival strategy used by the pacus!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
first off, if any of the fish you have in the tank have at least 2 eye diameters of gill behind the eye, they are piranha. secondly, the jaw is a dead give away. if the fish looks like it has an underbite. definitely not a piranha. as for the color, that can have to do with water perameters also. including temp, ph, and other factors such as tank space. pacus will tend to be darker in a cramped environment as a sign of stress on the fish.

my two reds both grew at the same rate until 4 months old, then one of them started dominating and had more red on his flanks. there are a lot of factors involved, but I would use the 2 diameter eye spacing deal. that will tell you if your fish are punks or not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think im going too have and wait till they get a few months older..

i cant really tell. its to hard to see lol

But they will be ok togethor if one is a pacus? oly one of the 3 may be piranha. i will jsut have to wait and see

but if theey will be fine togethor. and with shoal. then this will be fine. i dont mind different kinds. i jsut want them to be ok togethor.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Post some pics so we can help you identify...
!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i would. but to take pics i need to box them and take them out side to snap a pic.. to much stress o the poor fella's
i have no flash for my camera

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
Yes, best for us to clarify is with pix. Also nothing to worry about if you have 1 P in with a group of Pacus. They will shoal together, but in time your Pacu will surpass the growth stage of your piranah

1 - 9 of 9 Posts