Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5 2" to 3" red bellies and the smallest one has somethign wrong with his eye. It looks puffy and it is like a yellowish color. I'm concerned because he isn't acting like himself and I just introduced 2 very aggressive red bellies that already ate their smaller brother. I fear that if they sense his weakness he'll be lunch too!!!! Help me!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did you cycle your tank? Or did you get the tank and put them right in. Yes your red has ammonia burn, You are going to have to do some water changes. I say about 25%-50% every few days. Some aquarium salt wont hurt ether.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: I have been doin frequent water changes and usin AMMO LOCK and my boy's eye has gotten so much better. Looks like he'll be back to normal in no time!!! :D

·
joey'd is da man
14,077 Posts
SnowCichlid said:
sounds like its a common disease called "pop-eye"
this is caused from poor water conditions ...
I don't think it was pop-eye, this desease makes the eyes stick out like those stupid goldfish, I agree it is likely to be a reaction to bad water, possably ammonia burn.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
One of my caribe had the same thing. My water is good, must have bumped his eye or scratched it or somehow injured it. But just to be safe I did a salt treatment and used some of that penicillin crap for the little guy. It went away within a week. It was like 4 days or something. Hope yours does the same.

·
Registered
394 Posts
just wait it's not that big of a deal ur p's have cloudy eye just add some melafix if u can get it , its made from a herbal tree i use it all the time it also does aot of other things like fix damaged fins or do the salt thing but try to find melafix at ur local fish store should have it

·
Registered
394 Posts
if its not to badd then in 3 to 4 days it should be gone but do it for a week to be on the safe side

·
Registered
394 Posts
if its not to badd then in 3 to 4 days it should be gone but do it for a week to be on the safe side

·
Registered
394 Posts
and u can do this with him in his main tank cuz it go for the fish it helpes heal open wounds to

·
what up NINJA
4,581 Posts
When I got my rbp babies a few months ago, one of them had a cloudy eye. It seemed to go away then, after I changed the tanks another p has a bad eye (same one? dont' know). His eye looks cloudy, dark and sunk in. Yesterday he seemed weak and was swimming lopsided and slowly (not much fin movement). Could it be anything anyone has stated on this thread? ie. ammonia or acid? I'll do some mild treatments water change and report back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts