Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I came home from work today, and notice from across the room the tank was a little cloudy, as I got closer I noticed the water was cloudy. I came to find out Pablo which was my 2nd cariba half eaten. This really pisses me off. This current shoal rarely shows aggression towards eachother since I took the Ternetzi out (she was a devil). Now I am down to 4 cariba all over 10" in length. Lately she (pablo) has acted out of the norm some what. She was spending a good portion of the time hover in the plant cover and not shoaling as much as the others. My biggest Captain also shows this behavior from time to time so I thought nothing of it, but I guess she was a weak link and they took her down. Survival of the fittest.

It just pisses me off though, I feed them and care for them extremely well. But thats the risk we take with multi piranha tanks

·
Got Rice?!?
2,648 Posts
That sucks. And they were doing so well together. Sorry to hear about that man.

~Dj

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry about the loss.But remember this, they are piranhas after all.It happens in the wild and in aquariums.It always bums me out to but having piranhas and having some get eaten or die comes with the territory. :sad:

·
Quintessential 80s Guy
5,859 Posts
I understand completely. I tried to shoal 3 RBPs with 1 cariba and the carbia took them out one by one and now I am left alone with a solitary 5" cariba...along with a pleco too of course.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes for sure.Having a larger tank for the more aggressive species like Terns and Caribas definately puts the odds in your favor for dispersing aggression.I used to have a nice 110 gallon show tank that housed my breeding group of Natts.They would spawn regularly but they were very skittish.I then purchased a 125 gallon setup and moved them to that and their spooky ways went away.They fed more aggressivly and never freaked out anymore.

·
Death is fair to everyone.
5,310 Posts
Sorry for your loss. It really sucks to have a cool fish get mowed. I had two piraya go that way too.

·
OPEFE
10,249 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, but as you know pretty natural with Caribas...survival of the fittest...!

·
im offended and this is tastless,take it down &#33
4,277 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they are in a 125g tank with some decor, but they have decent room.

I plan to keep it at 4, I had actually thought about selling the fish that was killed a few times, so having 4 isnt a problem for me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.