Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It's the filter in the corner. Forgot the name of that one, sponge filter maybe? Anyway, anytime that you have bubbles rising it causes at least twice as much evaporation. Since that is under your opening in the back that is definitely the problem. I would ditch that filter unless you have fry in there. Kev

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
kevinhaeb said:
Since that is under your opening in the back that is definitely the problem.
[snapback]886037[/snapback]​
Very true, if you have water constantly splashing around that opening, more of it will evaporate. Also, considering that most people keep their p's temperatures around 79-82 degrees F, evaporation is bound to occur with pretty good speed.

I lose about 10% of my water every week to evaporation, but I keep a bucket with treated water near the tank so that I can just fill it back up when needed.

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i still havn't removed the bubble filter, don't know why. But yea im gonna cut out that plastic thats suppose to connect to the glass tops. That your suppose to cut anywayz to fit your filter.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I go through the same thing in one of my smaller tanks...I have no lid on it and it is only about 80% covered with a light fixture...Iam sure by summer the evaporation will only occur quicker

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
piranhaqueen said:
I lose about a gallon a day.... didn't know that was a problem though.... is it???
[snapback]886209[/snapback]​
I don't think its a problem just a bit annoying to have to adding water so quickly

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
Well I have heard that it IS a problem. Because when the water evaporates it leaves all the harmful stuff still in the water...so you have more nitrates per gallon than before
not sure if its true or not.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Filo said:
when the water evaporates it leaves all the harmful stuff still in the water...so you have more nitrates per gallon than before
[snapback]886838[/snapback]​
It is true, but if you do the necessary amount of water changes to keep your nitrates below 20 ppm or so, you won't have a problem.

I would suggest you take anything out that is making water splash up (sponge filter) and leave whatever you have causing surface agitation (power filter) in there. You could always add another power filter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's the bubbler power head combo in the corner you can see all of the mineral deposits on you light rim and power filter you should lower the power head. fyi the current produced by a power head at the top of the tank will do your fish no good especially P's you need to put just below midline in the tank where your fish are more likely to swim in the current. Also put the cover back on your filter that's another area that will loose a lot of water. evaporation is normal but there are measures that will slow it down.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I would recommend what they are all saying removing the filter, but just remember evaporation is perfectly normal unless the tank is completely sealed, but that is a very bad idea! So we just have to add water and do water changes!!!

·
Banned
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Supa Samoan said:
It's the bubbler power head combo in the corner you can see all of the mineral deposits on you light rim and power filter you should lower the power head. fyi the current produced by a power head at the top of the tank will do your fish no good especially P's you need to put just below midline in the tank where your fish are more likely to swim in the current. Also put the cover back on your filter that's another area that will loose a lot of water. evaporation is normal but there are measures that will slow it down.
[snapback]887002[/snapback]​
One problem i don't got a top, but im just gonna buy another better filter, and take out that other crap.

·
I Have No Fish but I Have Japanese Girls On My Ava
18,487 Posts
The filter ay be a reason, but having a huge opening in the back would be a bigger factor. Another cause might be room temp vs temperature in tank. If your tank is housed in room temperature and thermometer is adjusted to the propper setting of the tank size, warm water would evaporate faster than norm.

·
tap or snap
11,899 Posts
damn. i have a topless 10g and lose 10% every 2-3 weeks. hell, my 180g has a gap where the filters are and it only loses about 5% every 2 weeks.

try to reduce splashing and close the open gaps with something.

·
Registered
131 Posts
lol its not eh splashing that does it its the moisture in your room air. If its evaporating then your room is too dry. But you could jsu tkeep adding water during waters changes and it should be fine. And yes evaporatiosn does leave nitrites/nitrates behind becasue they are ions. Your water will reach equilibirum vapour pressure with the water vapour in your room, covering it will not do too much for your cause because effusion (the rate of higher pressure water vapour leaveing the tank) is much fater than evapouration. I fu seal it then thats a different thing, then your fish die withotu oxygen ur kinda outta luck with this one. The onyl thang that matters is your surface area exposed to air compared to volume of water. its gonna be hard to change exposed surface area

·
Registered
718 Posts
Get rid of the bubbles and go to a glass shop to get something to cover your tank ASAP. 6mm or 1/4" clear glass will work best.
When I was working on my aquarium, I had 1/4 of my 200gl tank basically uncovered for a week+ and lost almost 20-25% of the water.

Once covered I barely notice any evapouration...(weekly water changes though)

Please note that my tank is not totally air tight on top but does have a Wet/Dry picking up lots of Oxygen and allowing gases to escape....Speedy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts