Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much evaporation should be going on? What can I do to reduce it? My tank has lost maybe 1/4-1/2" in 5 days....and its a 180 gallon. Any help would be great. I have tops on every inch but where my two ac110s are and there are two openings that are 3"-19". Thanks

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Dont worry my friend, i have the same issue. With alot of water running and 80-84 temp, water evaporation is okay. My water evap about same amount as yours. Just top it off.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
theres a plastic piece on the back's of your glass tops....usually cut out spots for filter hanger, heater etc....i got no top on my tank and i lost about 4" of water between waterchanges (like every week).....nothing really you can do about it...nothing to worry about either...just top it off

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
you got you tank from glass cages right? did you get the glass tops too? AGA and perfecto glass tops all come with plastic strips that you can cut to fill the gap between the back of the glass top and the tank lip. do you have those?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I have them just no saws or anything to cut them with...any ideas? Also should I just get them cut straight across or try to make a tighter fit? Thanks

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yeah I have them just no saws or anything to cut them with...any ideas? Also should I just get them cut straight across or try to make a tighter fit? Thanks
You can get an acrylic cutter at any Home Depot type store. Basically they score the acrylic and when you apply pressure, it breaks uniformly. They can't be more than $10.

At the same time, the evaporation rate you mentioned really isn't all that bad. Personally, I have worse in my 125.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear...Ill get those cut at some point. Im more worried about my lighting situation then I will get to cutting them. THanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
humper......your OCD is kicking in........

you can not help nor stop evaporation, this will always happen no matter how
tight the fit of acrylic. its good you worry about your fish and tank so much, but
you will worry yourself into a frenzy at times bro.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
yep normal........water heats up normaly and disolves into the air, no way getting
away from that sir

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree with good circulation, water temps in the low 80's and your house furnace running there is no way around it.
Either constant replacement or daily top off are the answer, I did just set up a drip and siphon overflow to
handle my evaporation and constantly feed the tank fresh water.
The post is here Drip system post .
Greg

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
humper......your OCD is kicking in........:laugh:

tight the fit of acrylic. its good you worry about your fish and tank so much, but
Haha yeah well I have to have something to worry about besides school...and this site helps with that

Thanks for all the help I am just trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible since I like learning about it

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
humper......your OCD is kicking in........:laugh:

Haha yeah well I have to have something to worry about besides school...and this site helps with that :rasp:
Thanks for all the help I am just trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible since I like learning about it

[/quote]
dude you are doing awsome.......keep it up!!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
great topic, I lose at least 2 inches of water a week and was wondering what the hell was going on or if thats normal. good to hear it happens everywhere

1 - 20 of 20 Posts