Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I am planning on setting up 3 20L tanks in a bookcase-like stand that will match my dual 55 and 75 setup.

--On Each Tank--

for filtration, I like the bio-wheel 170, but I am looking for atleast a 10x turnover rate per hour. any suggestions on this?

for heaters, I was planning on using the 100w submersable ones from Wal-mart (cant remember the brand name). is this a little overkill, and is there any more efficient heaters I should look into?

for powerheads, I was going to get some aquaclear 402's (270 gph) off e-bay. will these be sufficient, or should I look into another brand?

Each tank will have a different species of Serra. at the moment, my top choices (hopefully all at around 5")are brandtii, irritans (if I can find one), Spilo (CF?), and either a Rhom, or Elongatus. I am aware that the latter 2 will need bigger tanks in the future. any other serras (pref. rare) that you would stock in such a setup?

any input from experience is welcome.

~Will.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The bio wheel 170 is good, for achieving 10x I would throw an aquaclear mini on there (100 gph). As for heaters, I don't have much experience with wal mart heaters, Tommy V has one on his 30. But 100 watts is what you want. Ebo Jager make some of the best heaters. I would think a 402 would be sufficient for powerheads. Your fish choices are pretty good. Heres what I would stick in there. (not all these but here are the fish I would chooose from) Irritan, brandti, rhom, spilo, manueli. NOT an elongatus, that tank is way to small for an elongatus, unless you somehow got ahold of a very small one.

·
Me except the eye color
6,210 Posts
Use ac300 if your 20gs. Thats all you will ever need.

Use rio powerheads, they dont kill your feeders or your piranha if they decides to be sucked in =( Did mention they look better?

100watt heaters is fine

3 tanks: i would do, 1 rhom, 1 manueli or Geryi, 1 maculatus (if you can find one)

"Rare" serras include, Geryi, maculatus, Manulei, Purple spilo, irritains, Ruby red spilo, gouldini, brandti and many more. Note, some fish has different degree of rarity to them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was trying to stay away from aquaclear filters (kinda crappy arent they?), and utilize the bio wheels. I picked penguins b/c I can get cheap filter pads from walmart, if I went with emperors, I would have to order the pads ($$$) or use floss and peat which I have never tried. can I use wal-mart filters on AC's?

dam, that maculatus is beautifull! I like the medinai, irritans, gibbus, and eigenmanni. I'm going to hold off on the Rhom and/or Elongatus untill I can get more big tanks . . . My decision is going to be based on the availability of atleast 2 of the above from 1 seller.

the Rio powerheads do look pretty cool, there are rio180's on e-bay for like $13 + shipping, will these be good enough?

~Will.

·
Registered
331 Posts
for your powerheads go to bigals.com I have been caompairing prices between them and e-bay for powerheads and you can get em shipped to ya alot cheaper than e-bay.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know of big gay als online, but I found a guy on e-bay that always hooks me up.

I might be getting the first inhabitant of the tripple serra-setup an a few days . . . a beautifull xingu Rhom with bloody red eyes. I hope everything goes through!

~Will.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hope you get the rhom. You just made me want to get the same set-up. ac are a good brand of filter. I personally like them better than penguins cause they are to loud, and emp. But keep us posted on how things go, and take some pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts