Piranhas Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since my piranha died and selling most of my equipment i still have a 10 Gal complete setup that i wanna stock up but can't think of anything interesting to put in it...
Anyone have any suggestions?

· WWTCD?
8,963 Posts
You don't have very many options for a 10 gallon, especially if you're looking for something cool.

There's all the classic community fish options like swordtails, guppies, platies, etc. There MIGHT be a type of cichlid, dwarf of course, that you could keep a pair of in there. But don't quote me on that. Could also do a goldfish or two, but they'd eventually have to be upgraded to a bigger tank.

Really... My suggestion is do a heavily planted tank with LOTS of green (and gravel that is either black or dark green as well) and get maybe one male and three female platies, with bright colours. It makes for a pretty little display tank. Can also toss in an albino cory to keep the bottom clean and an oto to help with the algae.

· Registered
1,335 Posts
"Really... My suggestion is do a heavily planted tank with LOTS of green (and gravel that is either black or dark green as well) and get maybe one male and three female platies, with bright colours. It makes for a pretty little display tank. Can also toss in an albino cory to keep the bottom clean and an oto to help with the algae."

i agree, but i would use flourite unstead of gravel, use a good light too, the livebearers wil breed in that setup, i have a setup like that currently

· WWTCD?
8,963 Posts
hellraiser7821 said:
"Really... My suggestion is do a heavily planted tank with LOTS of green (and gravel that is either black or dark green as well) and get maybe one male and three female platies, with bright colours. It makes for a pretty little display tank. Can also toss in an albino cory to keep the bottom clean and an oto to help with the algae."

i agree, but i would use flourite unstead of gravel, use a good light too, the livebearers wil breed in that setup, i have a setup like that currently
[snapback]832657[/snapback]​
I've never used fluorite myself... But I hear it's good.

But yeah. Good light. If it's not already a fluorescent light, get one of the compact fluorescents from Walmart and screw that in there. They're great and last a long time.

· WWTCD?
8,963 Posts
Umbilical Syllables said:
Any specific shell dwellers? I'm thinking about a few rams and a pleco for a 15g with a sand bottom, and that shell dwellers idea kind of tickled my fancy

[snapback]832774[/snapback]​
A few rams? Don't think a 15 g would be big enough...

· Danse Macabre!
9,834 Posts
Umbilical Syllables said:
Any specific shell dwellers? I'm thinking about a few rams and a pleco for a 15g with a sand bottom, and that shell dwellers idea kind of tickled my fancy

[snapback]832774[/snapback]​
Whichever ones look best I suppose. I don't know much about them beyond what I've seen in the lfs and the little bit of reading I have done. They were fascinating fish to watch and they'll do good in a small amount of water like a 10 gallon.

· Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wicked thanks for the rply's peeps, for the tanks setup right now im thinking of going with a Sand Bottom with a nice Plant setup so it won't look too empty... i'd also like at least 4 - 5 fish in the tank will i be able to do this with some of the suggestions or will i be crowding the tank?
thanks again for current and future reply's...

3,843 Posts
Small cichlids and some shell dwellers like suggested would work. You could also go with some small cyprinids such as danios, smaller barbs, rasboras, or small characins like tetras. And maybe some smaller catfish.

3,843 Posts
Get a Peacock bass or Oscar. I'm sure I've pissed someone off with saying that.

As I said, get some cichlids or some other fish.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.